"BRANDSBY, (or Bransby), a parish, in the wapentake of Bulmer, in the North Riding of the county of York, 6 miles to the N.E. of Easingwold. York is its post town. It includes the hamlet of Stearsby. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of York, of the value of £628, in the patronage of F. Cholmeley, Esq. The church is dedicated to All Saints. The produce of the parochial charities is about £7 a year. The principal seat is Brandsby Hall."
"STEARSBY, a hamlet in the parish of Brandsby, wapentake of Bulmer, North Riding county York, 6 miles N.E. of Easingwold."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013