"BRIGNALL, a parish in the western division of the wapentake of GILUNG, North riding of the county of YORK, 1 mile W.S.W. from Greta-Bridge, containing 216 inhabitants.. The living is a vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Richmond, and diocese of Chester, rated in the king's books at £8. 12. 6., and in the patronage of the Crown. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. A school was established here, in 1817, by J. B. S. Morritt, Esq., who allows £15 per annum for its support."
"GRETA BRIDGE, a hamlet in the parish of BRIGNALL, western division of the wapentake of GILLING, North riding of the county of YORK, 54 miles N.N.W. from York, and 242 N.N.W. from London. The population is returned with the parish. It takes its name from a lofty bridge of one arch, erected in the line of the Watling-street, upon the site of a more ancient structure, over the river Greta, a little above its junction with the Tees, at each extremity of which there is a commodious inn much frequented by travellers on the great north road from London to Glasgow. There are vestiges of a Roman camp in the neighbourhood, where an altar and several coins have been discovered. Here Mr. Ward places the Maglove of the Notitia."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]