|Yorkshire||North Riding||Nearby places|
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"BRIGNALL, a parish in the wapentake of Gilling West, and liberty of Richmondshire; 4 miles SE. of Barnard Castle. The church, which is an ancient structure, is dedicated to St. Mary (see Churches for photograph); the living is a vicarage, in the patronage of the King, incumbent the Rev. O. W. Kilvington, Here is a school erected in 1817, and allowed £15. per annum, by J. B. S. Morritt, Esq. Pop. 216."
"GRETA BRIDGE, in the townships and parishes of Brignall and Rokeby, wapentake of Gilling West, and liberty of Richmondshire; 1 mile ESE. of Rokeby, 4 miles SE. of Barnard Castle, is a small village, taking its name from a bridge of one arch, over the river Greta, which river soon after runs into the Tees. The place is of modern erection, consisting of two handsome inns, one on each side of the bridge. Here are the remains of a Roman camp, where a number of coins and an altar were dug up some years ago.
Here are two Inns, the George Inn, (Post-Office) on the north side of the river; and the Moritt's Arms on the south, both Posting-houses."
"MOOR HOUSE, a farm house in the township and parish of Brignall; 1½ miles WSW. of Brignall, 2 miles from Gretabridge."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]