|Brompton By Sawdon
"BROMPTON BY SAWDON, a parish, in the wapentake of Pickering Lythe, North Riding of the county of York, 8 miles to the S.W. of Scarborough. It is situated near the river Derwent and the York and Scarborough section of the North-Eastern railway, and contains the townships of Sawdon, Snainton, and Troutsdale. This place is said to have been a seat of the kings of Northumbria; and at Castle Hill, near the village, are still traces of an old fortress. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York, value £103, in the patronage of Sir George Cayley, Bart. The church is of large size, and is dedicated to All Saints. The Wesleyans have a chapel here. The parochial charities produce £7 a year. High Hall, or Brompton House, has been the seat of the Cayley family, to whom the manor belongs, for above two centuries. John of Brompton, a monkish chronicler, is conjectured to have been a native of this place."
"SAWDON, a township in the parish of Brompton-by-Sawdon, wapentake of Pickering Lythe, North Riding county York, 8 miles S.W. of Scarborough. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans."
"SNAINTON, a chapelry in the parishes of Brompton-by-Sawdon and Ebberston, Pickering Lythe, North Riding county York, 8 miles S.E. of Pickering, and 9 S.W. of Scarborough. The village, which is of small extent, is situated near the river Derwent. The living is a perpetual curacy annexed to the vicarage of Brompton, in the diocese of York. The church was rebuilt in 1836. The parochial charities produce about £6 per annum. The Wesleyans have a place of worship."
"TROUTSDALE, a township in the parish of Brompton-by-Sawdon, Pickering Lythe, North Riding county York, 10 miles W. of Scarborough, and 5 from Snainton. It includes the hamlet of Longdale End. In the vicinity are stone quarries. H. Hill, Esq., is lord of the manor."
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
by Colin Hinson ©2013