"BROTTON, a parish in the N.R. of Yorkshire."
"KILTON, in the parish of Brotton, in the North Riding of Yorkshire, with a park round it, to the N. E. of Gisborough, is a barony in fee, that lay dormant for some time bet. the late E. of Scarborough and Sir Charles Hotham, Bt. It bel. formerly to the Thwengs, whose estate descended to the barons of Lumley, Hilton, and Daubeney. Here is the seat of Mr. Tullie."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Stephen Whatley's England's Gazetteer, 1750]