GENUKI Home page    Brotton Parish<br>main page Brotton
Parish
main page

BROTTON:
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

"BROTTON, a parish, in the eastern division of the liberty of Langbaurgh, North Riding of the county of York, 6 miles to the N.E. of Guisborough. It is situated on the seacoast, and includes the townships of Kilton and Skiningrove. The living is a perpetual curacy annexed to that of Skelton, in the diocese of York. The church stands on the summit of a lofty ridge commanding a good sea view."


"KILTON, a township in the parish of Brotton, E. division of the liberty of Langbaurgh, North Riding county York, 6 miles N.E. of Guisborough, its post town. There are some traces of a castle, which formerly belonged to the Thweng family. Thomas Wharton, Esq., is lord of the manor and principal landowner."


"SALTBURN BY SEA, a hamlet in the parish of Brotton, liberty of East Langbaurgh, North Riding county York, 6 miles N.E. of Guisborough. It is situated on the coast, and is the terminus of the Stockton and Darlington section of the North-Eastern railway. It was until recently an insignificant village, wholly inhabited by fishermen, but has considerably improved since the opening of the railway."


"SKININGROVE, a township in the parish of Brotton, E. division of Langbaurgh liberty, North Riding county York, 7 miles N.E. of Guisborough, its post town. It is situated on the coast, and almost secluded from view by the lofty heights by which it is encircled. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in the fisheries."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson 2003


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014