|Yorkshire||North RidingYorkshire||Nearby places|
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"BROTTON, a parish in the wapentake and liberty of Langbargh; 6 miles NE. of Guisborough. The village is inhabited chiefly by farmers; it is pleasantly situated on an eminence, commanding an extensive view of the surrounding country. The chapel is a plain, modern structure, built in 1741 (see Churches for photograph), and the living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Archbishop of York, of which the Rev. William Close, is the incumbent. It is an ancient Chapelry dependant on the church of Skelton, enjoying parochial rights. Population, 332."
"KILTON, in the parish of Brotton, wapentake and liberty of Langbargh; 1¼ miles SE. of Brotton, 7 miles NE. of Guisborough. The castle and lordship of Kilton, formerly belonged to the very ancient family of Thwengs, and then had the following hamlets belonging to them; viz. Liverton, Thorp Skelton, Easington, Skinnergrave, &c. Pop. 100."
"KILTON THORPE, a farm house in the parish of Brotton, wapentake and liberty of Langbargh; 1¼ miles S. of Brotton, 6 miles NE. of Guisborough.
In this farm are two ancient Manors, which at the general survey were held by Torchil, under the names of Chillune and Torp."
"SALTBURN, in the parishes of Skelton in Cleveland and Brotton, wapentake and liberty of Langbargh; 1½ miles NW. of Brotton, 6 miles NE. of Guisborough; situated upon the sea near Huntcliffe, inhabited chiefly by fishermen. (Please note that Saltburn by the sea did not exist in 1823. See Marske by the Sea parish, Bulmer's 1890 transcription for information)."
"SKINNINGROVE, in the parish of Brotton wap & liberty of Langbargh; 1½ miles E. of Brotton, 7 miles NE. of Guisborough. (the seat of John Easterby, Esq.) A small hamlet situated upon the sea, in a deep creek or bay, the lofty and rugged sides of which entirely seclude it from all distant view. Pop. 60."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]