"BULMER, a parish, in the wapentake of the same name, North Riding of the county of York, 6 miles to the S.W. of New Malton, its post town. It is situated on the W. side of the river Derwent, not far from the North branch of the Midland railway, and contains the chapelry of Henderskelf and the townships of Bulmer and Welburn. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of York, value £395, in the patronage of Earl Fitzwilliam. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. Castle Howard, the noble seat of the Earl of Carlisle, is in this parish."
"HENDERSKELF, (or Castle Howard), a chapelry and township in the parish of Bulmer, wapentake of Bulmer, North Riding county York, 5 miles S.W. of New Malton, and 16 N.E. of York. It is situated on rising ground near the river Derwent. The principal attraction of this place is Castle Howard Hall, the seat of the Earl of Carlisle. It was built on the site of the old castle of Henderskelf, about 1727, by the third Earl of Carlisle, and is 360 feet in length, decorated with lofty columns and surmounted by a dome 100 feet in height. The entrance hall is 35 feet square, and 60 feet high. The interior contains a choice collection of paintings, busts, statues, &c. There is also a chapel for the convenience of the household. The park in which the mansion is situated is well stocked with deer, and adorned with several lakes. In the grounds is a pyramid erected in 1714 to commemorate the victories of the Duke of Marlborough, and near to the N. front is a monument to the victories of Nelson. A short distance E. of the mansion is an Ionic temple on which are the busts of Trajan, Faustina, Sabine, and Vespasian."
"WELBURN, a township in the parish of Bulmer, North Riding county York, 5 miles S.W. of New Malton. It is situated near the river Derwent, and includes Hardy Flatts."