The Ancient Parish of BULMER
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. © 2010]
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]
"BULMER, a parish in the wapentake of Bulmer. (This place gives its name to the
wapentake) 7 miles SW. of Malton. Here is a church, dedicated to St. Martin (see Churches for photograph).
The living is a rectory, in the patronage of Earl Fitzwilliam, incumbent the
Rev. William Preston. Population, 339.
Bulmer was formerly the seat of the ancient family of the Idels."
"HENDERSKELFE, in the wapentake and parish of Bulmer; 1¾ miles NE. of Bulmer, 7
miles WSW. of Malton, containing a population of 159 souls."
(There is further information for Henderskelfe).
"WELBURN, in the parish of Bulmer, and wapentake of Bulmer; 1¼ miles ENE. of
Bulmer, 5½ miles SW. of Malton. Population, 352."
- Here are photographs of Churches in the parish:
- Here are two photographs of "Scatter Penny" in Bulmer village from Josephine Laxton:
Scatter Penny circa 1910. The woman in the doorway is Josephine's Grandmother.
The modern Scatter Penny. The house was in use by a family of Elliotts for a period of at least 50 years. from the early 1900's on.
The Elliott Clan was associated with Castle Howard from the early 1800's. One Isaac Elliot from the extended Elliot(t) clan,
as well as his sons Robert and Isaac, were Gamekeepers/Gillies at Castle Howard. Isaac Elliot Sr. being listed as Head
Gamekeeper. This is noted in cenuses and the Will of Isaac Elliot(t). The Elliotts and extended families, have been associated
with the castle until the present, not always carrying the Elliott name...Isaac and his wife are buried in Bulmer Village
Churchyard, as well as the line of Elliotts associated with Bulmer village. These Elliotts, enmasse, originated in Scotland
proper, were brought down to the borders of Scotland, as a noted fighting clan, to protect the border and were dispersed
during the clearances. They then settled in Cumbria, and came down to Yorkshire in the late 1700's or early 1800's. [Josephine Laxton 2011]
- This parish is covered (or partly covered) by the following Societies:
This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal
use or as given in the conditions of use.
If you have any suggestions for links to other sites that may be useful to other researchers,
please use this User Links page
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014