GENUKI Home page    Burneston Parish<br>main page Burneston
Parish
main page

BURNESTON:
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

"BURNESTON, a parish in the wapentake of HALLIKELD, North riding of the county of YORK, comprising the chapelry of Leeming with Exelby and Newton, and the townships of Burneston, Carthorp, Gatenby, and Theakstone, and containing 1326 inhabitants, of which number, 288 are in the township of Burneston, 4 miles E.S.E. from Bedale. The living is a vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Richmond, and diocese of Chester, rated in the king's books at 37. 6. 8., and in the patronage of G. Elsley, Esq. The church is dedicated to St. Lambert. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. Matthew Robinson, by deed dated in 1688, assigned a rent-charge of 43. 5. for the endowment of a school, and of an almshouse for five poor persons, besides an alms-master, which he had previously erected: the building contains a school-room, with apartments for the master, also rooms for the alms-master and five hospitallers: other benefactions have subsequently been added, and the present annual income is about 67, of which the schoolmaster receives 16 for teaching seventeen children, the alms-master or usher 5. 8., and the remainder is divided among the poor inmates of the hospital. An annual sum of about 20, arising from land appropriated for their benefit, is distributed among the poor of the parish. The magistrates acting for the district hold their meetings at the New Inn, in this township, and at the York Gate Inn, Melmerby, alternately."


"CARTHORP, a township in the parish of BURN-ESTON, wapentake of HALLIKELD, North riding of the county of YORK, 4 miles S.E. from Bedale, containing 301 -inhabitants. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. Here are the remains of a Roman camp."


"EXELBY, a township in the parish of BURNESTON, wapentake of HALLIKELD, North riding of the county of YORK, 2 miles E.S.E. from Bedale, containing, with Leeming and Newton, 56L2 inhabitants. The sum of about 40 per annum is applied to the instruction of the poor children of the townships of Exelby, Leeming, and Newton."


"GATENBY, a township in the parish of BURNESTON, wapentake of HALLIKELD, North riding of the county of YORK, 4 miles E. from Bedale, containing 88 inhabitants."


"LEEMING, a chapelry in the parish of BURNESTON, wapentake of HALUKELD, North riding of the county of YORK, 2 miles E.N.E. from Bedale, containing, with Exelby and Newton, 562 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Richmond, and diocese of Chester, endowed with 1000 royal bounty, and 1000 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Vicar of Burneston. The church is dedicated to St. John the Baptist. The petty sessions for the division are held at the Oak Tree Inn, Leeming Lane. The ancient Herman-street, which extends northward to Inverness, passes through this chapelry."


"NEWTON, a township in the parish of BURNESTON, wapentake of HALLIKELD, North riding of the county of YORK, 3 miles S.E. from Bedale. The population is returned with Exelby."


"THEAKSTONE, a township in the parish of BURNESTON, wapentake of HALLIKELD, North riding of the county of YORK, 3 miles E.S.E. from Bedale, containing 87 inhabitants."

[Transcribed by Mel Lockie from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014