GENUKI Home page    Burneston Parish<br>main page Burneston
Parish
main page

BURNESTON:
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

"BURNESTON, a parish, in the wapentake of Hallikeld, in the North Riding of the county of York, 4 miles to the S. E. of Bedale, its post town. It is crossed by the Bedale and Leyburn branch of the North-Eastern railway, and there are stations at Newton and Leeming Lane. The parish comprises the chapelry of Leeming-with-Exelby, and the townships of Carthorp, Gatenby, Newton, and Theakstone. Leeming Lane, on the E. side of the parish, is a branch of the ancient Iknield Street. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Ripon, of the annual value of 546, in the patronage of the Duke of Cleveland. The church is dedicated to St. Lambert. There is also a district church at Leeming, the living of which is a perpetual curacy, value 120, in the patronage of the vicar. In the village are a chapel for Wesleyan Methodists, a free school, founded in 1852, and an almshouse for six aged persons, founded and endowed about 1688 by Matthew Robinson. The other charities produce about 20 a year."


"CARTHORP, a township in the parish of Burneston, wapentake of Hallikeld, in the North Riding of the county of York, 9 miles to the W. of Thirsk. The Wesleyan Methodists have a chapel in the village, and there is a charitable bequest for the poor, but of small amount. In the vicinity is a Roman entrenchment."


"EXELBY, a township in the parish of Burneston, wapentake of Hallikeld, North Riding county York, 2 miles E. of Bedale. The Leeming Bar station is 2 miles to the N.E. of the village. The Wesleyans have a chapel."


"GATENBY, a township in the parish of Burneston, wapentake of Hallikeld, North Riding county York, 4 miles E. of Bedale, and a short distance from the Leeming Lane rail way station."


"LEEMING, a hamlet and chapelry in the parish of Burneston, wapentake of Hallikeld, North Riding county York, 1 mile N,E. of Bedale, its post town, and 1 S. of the Leeming Bar railway station. The village, which is small, is situated on the Roman way Ermine Street, called here Leeming Lane. It is joined to the village of Exelby. The petty sessions for the division are held at the Oak-tree inn. The land is nearly evenly divided between arable and pasture. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Ripon, value 120, in the patronage of the Vicar of Burneston. The church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, is an edifice built of red brick, containing one bell. There is a National school. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have places of worship."


"NEWTON, a township in the parish of Burneston, wapentake of Hallikeld, North Riding county York, 3 miles S.E. of Bedale. It is joined with Exelby and Leeming."


"THEAKSTONE, a township in the parish of Burneston, wapentake of Hallikeld, North Riding county York, 3 miles S.E. of Bedale, and 31 S. of Leeming-lane railway station."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson 2003


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014