|Yorkshire||North Riding||Nearby places|
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]
"BURNESTON, a parish in the wapentake of Halikeld, and liberty of Richmondshire; 3½ miles SSE. of Bedale. The church is a large and ancient edifice (see Churches for photograph) dedicated to St Lambert, and the living is a vicarage, in the patronage of Gregory Elsley, Esq. incumbent the Rev. Henry Elsley. Here is a small Methodist chapel; also a Free Grammar school, founded by one of the ancestors of the present Lord Rokeby, in 1680, together with a hospital for five poor parishioners, aged sixty years before their admission; the endowment is upwards of sixty pounds per annum. Pop. 288."
Information on the following places in this Parish is contained on a supplementary page.
- Bromaking Grange
- Cowfold House
- Leeming Bar
- New Inn
- Newton House
- Oak Tree Inn
- Theakstone Grange