|Carlton In Cleveland
"CARLTON IN CLEVELAND, a parish, in the western division of the liberty of Langbaurgh, in the North Riding of the county of York, 3 miles to the S. of Stokesley, its post town. Large and important alum-works were once carried on at this place. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of York, value £56, in the patronage of O. Reeve, Esq. There is a chapel belonging to the Wesleyan Methodists. The parochial charities produce about £25 a year."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013