[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]
"CATTERICK, a parish in the wapentake of Hang East, and liberty of Richmondshire; 5 miles ESE. of Richmond, and about one mile from the Southern banks of the Swale. Here is a large and ancient parish church, dedicated to St. Anne (see Churches for photograph); the living is a vicarage in the gift of the Crown, and the Rev. Alexander John Scott, D.D. chaplain to His Majesty, is the incumbent." (There is further information for Catterick).
Information on the following places in this Parish is contained on a supplementary page.
St. Aidan's Garrison Church, Catterick Garrison. Church of Scotland, built in 1929. In 1983 it became known as St. Aidan's Church of Scotland and Free Church. Now associated with the Methodist, Baptist and all free Churches.
On 12th August, 1885, the chapelry of Bolton-on-Swale (in this parish) was constituted a distinct parish by an Order in Council. This new parish comprised the townships of Bolton-on-Swale, Ellerton, Kiplin, Scorton, Uckerby, and Whitwell. See Bolton-on-Swale Parish.
This web-site gives details of the world's oldest sporting event, dating back to 1673 - describes the formation of the Society of Archers, which had its origins in the village of Scorton, parish of Catterick. Site includes a free .pdf download of "The Antient Scorton Silver Arrow" by Ben Hird, published 1972.