GENUKI Home page    Catterick Parish<br>main page Catterick
Parish
main page

CATTERICK:
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

"CATTERICK, a parish in the North riding of the county of YORK, comprising the townships of Ellerton upon Swale, Kiplin, Scorton, Uckerby, and Whitwell, in the eastern division of the wapentake of GILLING; the chapelry of Hudswell, in the western division of the wapentake of HANG; and the chapelry of Hipswell, and the townships of Appleton, Brough, Catterick, Colbourne, St. Martin's, Killerby, Scotton, and Tunstall, in the eastern division of the wapentake of HANG, North riding of the county of YORK, and containing 2788 inhabitants, of which number, 561 are in the township of Catterick, 5 miles S.E. from Richmond. The living, is a vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Richmond, and diocese of Chester, rated in the king's books at 25. 2. 1., and in the patronage of the Crown. The church, dedicated to St. Anne, is partly in the early style of English architecture, and partly of later date. This is a place of great antiquity, having been the site of a Roman station of some note, called Cataractonium, where the Ermin-street branches off in two directions} numerous Roman relics, have been discovered at different periods. It also flourished during the Saxon times, but in the devastations of the Danes it was utterly destroyed, and is at present of little importance. A school, in which twelve children are instructed, and an hospital for six poor widows, were founded in 1658, by the Rev. Michael Syddally formerly vicar of the parish, and endowed with 45 per annum, of which the schoolmaster receives 20, with a house to reside in. At the distance of a mile to the north is Catterick bridge, over the river Swale, on which was formerly a chapel; and opposite is a race-course."


"APPLETON, a township in that part of the parish of CATTERICK, which is in the eastern division of the wapentake of HANG, North riding of the county of YORK, 2 miles S.W. from Catterick, containing 87 inhabitants."


"BOLTON UPON SWALE, a chapelry in the parish of CATTERICK, eastern division of the wapentake of GILLING, North riding of the county of YORK, l mile N.E. from Catterick, containing 100 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry pi Richmond, and diocese of Chester, endowed with 600 royal bounty, and 1000 parliamentary grant, and m the patronage of the Crown. The chapel, dedicated to St. Mary, contains a neat pyramidal tablet, erected by subscription, in 1743, over the grave of Henry Jenkins, a native of this place, who died at the age of one hundred and sixty-nine, the oldest Englishman on record."


"BROUGH, a township in that part of the parish of CATTERICK, which is in the eastern division of the wapentake of HANG, North riding of the county of YORK, 1 mile W. from Catterick, containing 90 inhabitants."


"COLBOURNE, a township in that part of the parish of CATTERICK, which is in the eastern division of the wapentake of HANG, North riding of the county of YORK, 2 miles E.S.E. from Richmond, containing 133 inhabitants."


"ELLERTON UPON SWALE, a township in that part of the parish of CATTERICK, which is in the eastern division of the wapentake of GILLING, North riding of the county of YORK, 1 mile S.E. from Catterick, containing 140 inhabitants. Henry Jenkins, who lived to the extraordinary age of one hundred and sixty-nine years, was born here; he died on the 8th of December, 1670, at this place, and a monument, with a suitabl epitaph, was erected to his memory in the church of Bolton upon Swale, in 1743, where he was interred."


"HIPSWELL, a chapelry in that part of the parish of CATTERICK, which is in the eastern division of the wapentake of HANG, North riding of the county of YORK, 2 miles S.S.E. from Richmond, containing 273 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Richmond, and diocese of Chester, endowed with 200 private benefaction, 600 royal bounty, and 1000 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Vicar of Catterick. Robert Corkin, in 1757, gave 100 towards the endowment of a free school, the interest of which is paid to the master of a charity school, in which about thirty children are instructed."


"HUDSWELL, a chapelry in that part of the parish of CATTERICK, which is in the western division of the wapentake of HANG, North riding of the county of YORK, 2 miles W.S.W. from Richmond, containing 305 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Richmond, and diocese of Chester, endowed with 600 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Vicar of Catterick. A free school is supported by the proceeds of an allotment assigned on the enclosure of waste lands, now amounting to 18 per annum, for which twelve children are educated gratuitously. Here are an extensive lead mine and a colliery."


"KILLERBY, a township in that part of the parish of CATTERICK, which is in the eastern division of the wapentake of HANG, North riding of the county of YORK, 2 miles E.S.E. from Catterick, containing 48 inhabitants."


"KIPLIN, a township in that part of the parish of CATTERICK, which is in the eastern division of the wapentake of GILLING, North riding of the county of YORK, 2 miles E.S.E. from Catterick, containing 100 inhabitants."


"SCORTON, a township in that part of the parish of CATTERICK, which is in the eastern division of the wapentake of GILLING, North riding of the county of YORK, 2 miles N.N.E. from Catterick, containing 496 inhabitants. A free grammar school here is endowed with 200 a year, the bequest of Leonard Robinson, Esq. The school-house, erected in 1760, stands on the north side of a spacious green, around which the village, which is well built, is situated. The buildings on the east side are occupied by a religious community of thirty nuns, of the order of St. Clair, who emigrated to this country from Normandy, in 1795. There are also about twenty boarders, and they have a neat chapel belonging to the establishment. Within the parish is a spring, called St. Cuthbert's well, the water of which is efficacious in cutaneous and rheumatic disorders."


"SCOTTON, a township in that part of the parish of CATTERICK, which is in the eastern division of the wapentake of HANG, North riding of the county of YORK, 3 miles S.S.E. from Richmond, containing 128 inhabitants."


"ST MARTIN, a township in that part of the parish of CATTERICK, which is in the eastern division of the wapentake of HANG, North riding of the county of YORK, half of a mile S.E. from Richmond, containing 23 inhabitants. About the year 1100, Wymar, chief steward to the Earl of Richmond, gave the chapel of St. Martin, with certain land adjoining, to the abbey of St. Mary, at York, upon which a cell of nine or ten Benedictine monks was established here, and continued till the dissolution, when its revenue was estimated at 43. 16. S."


"TUNSTALL, a township in that part of the parish of CATTERICK, which is in the eastern division of the wapentake of HANG, North riding of the county of YORK, 2 miles S.W. from Catterick, containing 253 inhabitants."


"UCKERBY, a township in that part of the parish of CATTERICK, which is in the eastern division of the wapentake of GILLING, North riding of the county of YORK, 3 miles N.E. from Catteriek, containing S2, inhabitants."


"WHITWELL, a chapelry in that part of the parish of CATTERICK, which is in the eastern division of the wapentake of GILLING, North riding of the county of YORK, 3 miles E. from Catterick, containing 99 inhabitants."

[Transcribed by Mel Lockie from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014