GENUKI Home page    Catterick Parish<br>main page Catterick
Parish
main page

CATTERICK:
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

"CATTERICK, a parish, partly in the eastern division of the wapentake of Gilling, and partly in the eastern and partly in the western dies, of the wapentake of Hang, in the North Riding of the county of York, 5 miles to the S.E. of Richmond. It is a post town; and is situated on the banks of the river Swale. Catterick Bridge, about 1 mile to the N. of the village, is a station on the Richmond and Darlington branch of the North-Eastern railway. The parish is of very great extent, and comprises numerous townships In the wapentake of Gilling, in this parish, are the chapelry of Bolton-upon-Swale, and the townships of Ellerton-upon-Swale, Kiplin, Scorton, Uckerby, and Whitwell. In the wapentake of Hang, in this parish, are the chapelries of Hudswell and Hipswell, which includes the extra-parochial district of St. Martin's, and the townships of East Appleton, West Appleton, Brough, Colbourne, Killerby, Scotton, and Tunstall (eastern division). Catterick is a very ancient place, and probably derives its name from the Roman station Cataractonium, on or near the site of which it stands. This station was on Ermine Street. Roman antiquities, consisting of traces of buildings, coins, &c., have been discovered here. The town was burnt down by the Danes in the latter half of the 8th century. There was a hospital founded in the reign of Henry III. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Ripon, value with the curacy of Tunstall annexed, 678, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is dedicated to St. Anne. It is partly in the early English and partly in the perpendicular style. The charitable endowments of the parish, consisting partly of the revenue (45) of the small free school, and the hospital for widows, founded in 1658 by Michael Tyddall, produce about 130 per annum. Catterick is the head of a deanery in the archdeaconry of Richmond. In the vicinity is Castle Hill, the site of an old camp. Races take place annually on a course near Catterick Bridge."


"BOLTON UPON SWALE, a chapelry in the parish of Catterick, wapentake of Gilling, in the North Riding of the county of York, 5 miles to the E. of Richmond. It includes six townships of which Scorton is the largest. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Ripon, of the value of 100, in the patronage of the Vicar of Catterick. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. In the churchyard is the grave of Henry Jenkins, oldest of English men, born at Ellerton, a neighbouring village, in 1500, and died there in December, 1670, having reached the rare age of 169 years. He was present at the Battle of Flodden Field. Among the memorable events which occurred during his life were the Reformation, the destruction of the Armada, the deaths of three Queens on the scaffold, the execution of Charles I., and the Great Fire of London. A neat monument marks his burial-place, and a monument in the church is inscribed with an epitaph composed by Dr. Thomas Chapman, Master of Magdalen College, Cambridge, and set up by subscription about 1743."


"BROUGH, a township in the parish of Catterick, and wapentake of East Hang, North Riding of the county of York, 5 miles to the S.E. of Richmond. It was the site of a hospital, founded about the end of the 13th century. Brough Hall, built in the reign of Charles I., is the seat of the Lawsons."


"COLBOURN, (or Colburn), a township in the parish of Catterick, in the wapentake of East Hang, in the North Riding of the county of York, 1 mile from Hipswell, and 3 from Richmond, its post town. It is situated on the river Swale. Sir William Lawson is lord of the manor."


"EAST APPLETON, (and West Appleton) a township in the parish of Catterick, wapentake of Hang, in the North Riding of the county of York, 5 miles to the S.E. of Richmond. Appleton House is the principal residence."


"ELLERTON UPON SWALE, a township in the parish of Catterick, wapentake of East Gilling, North Riding, county York, 6 miles S.E. of Richmond. This was the birthplace of H. Jenkins, who was born 1500, in the reign of Henry VII., and lived to the great age of 170, dying in the reign of Charles II. In 1743 a monument, with a suitable epitaph, was erected to his memory in the church of Bolton-upon-Swale, where he was interred."


"HIPSWELL, a chapelry in the parish of Catterick, wapentake of East Hang, North Riding county York, 2 miles S.E. of Richmond, and 3 N.W. of Catterick, its post town. It is situated near the river Swale, and contains the townships of Colburn and Scotton. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Ripon, value 100, in the patronage of the Vicar of Catterick. The church, dedicated to St. John, is a modern stone structure, with a tower containing two bells. The parochial charities produce about 20 per annum. There is a National school supported by voluntary contributions. The Hon. Charles Wandesford is lord of the manor."


"HUDSWELL, a chapelry in the parish of Catterick, wapentake of West Hang, North Riding county York, 2 miles S.E. of Richmond, its post town. It is situated on the river Swale. The land is sterile, and a portion of it marshy. Here are an extensive lead mine and a colliery. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Ripon, value 75, in the patronage of the Vicar of Catterick. The charities produce about 40 per annum, of which 18 goes to the National schools for both sexes."


"KILLERBY, a township in the parish of Catterick, wapentake of East Hang, North Riding county York, 2 miles from Catterick, and 5 N. of Bedale. It is situated near the river Swale. The Countess of Tyrconnel is lady of the manor. Killerby Hall is the principal residence."


"KIPLIN, a township in the parish of Catterick, wapentake of East Gilling, North Riding county York, 7 miles N.W. of Northallerton, and 3 S.E. of Catterick. It is situated on the river Ouse. The Countess of Tyrconnel is lady of the manor and sole landowner. Kiplin Hall is the principal residence."


"SCORTON, a township in the parish of Catterick, wapentake of East Gilling, North Riding county York, 3 miles N.E. of Catterick, and 5 E. of Richmond. It is a station on the Richmond and Darlington branch of the North-Eastern railway. The village is built round a spacious green near a-branch of the river Swale. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture. The soil is of a clayey and gravelly nature. Petty sessions are held here on the first Friday in each month. On the road to Cowton stands a nunnery of the order of St. Clare, established in 1795 by nuns who arrived in this country from Normandy, and in 1823 a chapel was built and dedicated to St. Clare. There is a school for both sexes adjoining the chapel. The free grammar school, which stands on the N. side of the green, was built in 1760, and was endowed by Leonard Robinson, with an annuity of about 300. Within the township is St. Cuthbert's well, the water of which is considered efficacious in cutaneous and rheumatic disorders."


"SCOTTON, a township in the parish of Catterick, wapentake of East-Hang, North Riding county York, 2 miles from Hipswell, and 3 S.E. of Richmond. Lord Wenlock is lord of the manor."


"SLEEGIL, a hamlet in the township of Hipswell, and parish of Catterick, North Riding county York, 2 miles S.E, of Richmond, near the river Swale."


"THORPE UNDER STONE, a hamlet in the chapelry of Hudswell, and parish of Catterick, wapentake of West Hang, North Riding county York, 3 miles W. of Richmond, on the river Swale."


"TUNSTALL, a township in the parish of Catterick, wapentake of East Hang, North Riding county York, 2 miles S.W. of Catterick, its post town, and 4 S.E. of Richmond. Tonstall Whin is a meet for the Bedale bounds. The living is a curacy annexed to the vicarage of Catterick, in the diocese of Ripon. The church, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, was erected in 1847, at an expense of about 900, defrayed by voluntary contributions. There is a parochial school for both sexes, with a small endowment. The Wesleyans have a chapel."


"UCKERBY, a township in the parish of Catterick, wapentake of Gilling East, North Riding county York, 3 miles N.E. of Catterick, 5 W. of Richmond, and 1 mile from Scorton railway station, on a branch of the river Swale. The Countess of Tyrconnel is lady of the manor."


"WAITWITH, a hamlet in the parish of Catterick, North Riding county York, 3 miles S.E. of Richmond, near the river Swale."


"WHITWELL, a township and chapelry in the parish of Catterick, wapentake of Gilling-East, North Riding county York, 3 miles E. of Catterick, and 6 N.W. of Northallerton. There is an extensive colliery."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson 2003


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014