Parish main page
Wapentake and Petty Sessional Division of Hang East - Electoral Division of Catterick - County Court District and Poor Law Union of Richmond - Rural Deanery and Archdeaconry of Richmond - Diocese of Ripon.
This ancient and interesting parish is situated in Swaledale, between Richmond and Langton, and extends into the wapentakes of Hang East, Hang West, and Gilling East. It includes the townships of Catterick, Appleton, Bolton-on-Swale, Brough, Colburn, Ellerton-on-Swale, Hipswell, Hudswell, Killerby, Kiplin, Scorton, Scotton, Tunstall, Uckerby, and Whitwell, covering in all about 22,600 acres. For ecclesiastical purposes Bolton, Ellerton, Kiplin, Uckerby, and Whitwell have been formed into a separate parish (see Bolton-on-Swale, page 373). The surface is pleasingly varied, but the landscape in this part of Swaledale is characterised by a quiet, often a pastoral beauty, rather than bold romantic scenery. The township of Catterick embraces 1,694 acres of land on the south bank of the Swale, belonging chiefly to Sir John Lawson, Bart., Brough Hall, who is also lord of the manor; the Duke of Leeds; Vice-Admiral the Hon. W. C. Carpenter, Kiplin Hall; the Countess of Yarborough; and the trustees of J. B. Booth, Esq. The soil is principally gravel, resting on limestone, and is remarkably fertile. The township is valued, for rating purposes, at £3,775, and had, in 1881, a population of 650.
The Village is situated about a mile south of the Swale, on a small rivulet which empties itself into that river, and is distant about 5 miles S.E. from Richmond, and 7 miles N.W. from Bedale. It is admitted by all historians that here stood the Roman city, or station of Cataractonium, mentioned in the first, second, and fifth itinerary of Antoninus; but the origin of the name has long been a puzzle to antiquarians. Apparently it implies the presence of a cataract, but the nearest waterfall is that of the Swale, at Richmond. Professor Phillips and a writer in the "archæologia" have given a very probable explanation by supposing that the Romans merely Latinised its ancient British name, which, the former suggests, was Catthairrigh, "a fortified city," and the latter, Caer-dar-ich, "the camp on the water." From either of these the modern name would be an easy corruption.
The numerous Roman remains which have at various times been found at Thornbrough, about a mile distant, prove undoubtedly that that was the site of the station. A Roman altar, bearing an inscription to Hermes or Mercury, was discovered here in 1620, and a few years later a large bronze vessel, containing a quantity of Roman coins, was found by a man whilst ploughing. This singular vessel has a capacity of twenty-four gallons, and is still preserved at Brough Hall. In 1851 Sir William Lawson, Bart., caused excavations to be made, which resulted in the discovery of the foundations of a portion of the outer wall of the station, and the site of the remainder was satisfactorily traced. It had enclosed an area of about nine acres. Many of the squared stones, which had evidently formed part of the superstructure, were also found, and with these a piece of the wall, about 80 yards in length, has been restored. A few inscribed stones and two lions sculptured in stone were also found.
Another camp is supposed to have stood on the site now occupied by the church and churchyard of Catterick, but there is nothing left to show whether it was of British, Roman, or Saxon construction. It may, however, be inferred, from the presence hard by of a large tumulus, now called Palet Hill, that it was an ancient Brigantian fort, the Cathairrigh, from which the present name of Catterick is derived. On a mound about a mile south-east of the village is an intrenched camp, which some writers suppose has been a Castrum Exploratorum, or post of observation, of the Romans. This camp, and also the one at Thornbrough, were adjacent to the great Roman road which led from York, by Aldborough, and crossed the Swale at Catterick Bridge, proceeding thence due north to Pierse Bridge, on the Durham side of the Tees.
Of Catterick, in Saxon times, little has been recorded. Edwin, the first Christian king of Northumbria, had a residence here, where he was visited by St. Paulinus, Bishop of York.
It was, in these Saxon times, it is said, a prosperous town, and had its church, in which, in 846, was solemnised with great pomp the marriage of Ethelred, king of Northumbria, and Elfleda, daughter of Offa, king of Mercia. But in the Danish incursions which followed shortly afterwards Catterick was almost entirely destroyed.
After the Norman Conquest this manor and all the surrounding district was given, by the Conqueror, to Alan the Red, first earl of Richmond, and was subsequently held, by sub-infeudation, by the De Burghs, of Brough Hall, from whom it passed, by marriage, in the 17th century, to Ralph Lawson, Esq., and it still remains in the possession of this family.
The Church (St. Anne) is a spacious Gothic structure, consisting of a chancel, nave, with side aisles and south porch, and a fine west tower. It was built by Katherine de Burgh, widow of John de Burgh and her son William, soon after the father's death in 1412. The contract, which is perhaps one of the oldest in the English language, is still in existence. The mason was Richard of Cracall, who undertook to execute the work, all materials being found by Dame Katerine and William, in three years, for eight score marks; and, if completed within the term, a further reward of "twelve marks and a goune of William's wering." The old church, possibly that in which the royal marriage above spoken of was celebrated, occupied an adjacent site on the north side of the present one. In 1872, the church underwent a thorough restoration, at a cost of about £2,000. The flat roof was replaced by one of high pitch, and several other modern improvements (!) restored to their original style. Many of the windows are of stained glass, and remarkably handsome. That in the chancel, consisting of five lights, on which is depicted "The Last Supper," is a memorial to the late Mr. John Booth, of Killerby, erected in 1857, by his friends and neighbours. The west window, in the tower (three lights), on which is represented the Baptism of Christ, was inserted by the Rev. John Croft (late vicar), to the memory of his wife. There are two two-light memorial windows in the south aisle, one to Mr. and Mrs. Hutchinson, of Manor House, the other to the wife of W. C. Booth, Esq., of Oran. To the memory of the same lamented lady a new organ was built, at the cost of the Misses Booth, and placed in the chapel of St. James, at the east end of the north aisle.
This chapel was formerly a chantry, and the burial place of the De Burghs, and now of the Lawson family, of Brough Hall. There are three ancient inscribed brasses to members of the former family, and several handsome tablets to those of the latter. At the east end of the south aisle is the mutilated effigy of Walter de Urswicke, Constable of Richmond and Keeper of the New Forest in the reign of Edward III. He was buried in the south aisle of the old church, but after the erection of the new one, his monument was removed to its present position. There was an altar here where, it is supposed, masses were celebrated for his soul. The piscina still remains, In the chancel are the ancient sedilia and piscina, and in the arches which separate it from the nave and aisles, the ancient oak screenwork is still preserved. Within the communion rails is a brass, bearing a singular inscription to the memory of Grace Lowther, who departed this life in 1594, and was "so mindful of death that, for the last seven years of her pilgrimage, she would never go a journey without taking her winding sheet about with her." Another interesting monumental inscription is that to the memory of the eccentric and facetious writer, Richard Braithwaite, Esq., better known by the pseudonyms of "Dapper Dick" and "Drunken Barnabee," who died at East Appleton, in 1673. The font is ancient, and bears on each of its eight facets shields of armorial bearings. Above the porch, cut in stone, are the swans of Burgh, the bars of Aske, and the cross patronce of Lascelles. The foundress of the church was an Aske, and the wife of William Burgh, her son, was a Lascelles.
The benefice was a rectory until 1220, when the church was appropriated to the Abbot and Convent of St. Mary's, York, and a vicarage instituted. At the dissolution of monasteries the tithes fell into lay hands, and the patronage to the Crown; but the latter was transferred to the Bishop of Ripon on the formation of that see. The living, worth £880 (the net value of the tithe rent charge), including 114 acres of glebe, with residence, is held by the Rev. Richard Garde, B.A. One half of the chancel and half of each aisle belongs to Sir John Lawson, to whom it has descended from Dame Katherine, the foundress.
Among the gravestones in the churchyard is one to the memory of Catherine Priestman, who died March 17th, 1829, at the age of 102 years.
Catterick Endowed School and Hospital were founded in 1658, by the Rev. Michael Syddal, vicar of the parish, who bequeathed for the purpose the sum of £500, and land and property then worth £20 per annum. The inmates of the Hospital were to be widows, six in number, "elected out of ye inhabitants of Catherick, Tunstal, West Appleton, Hipswell, Cowburn, and yt part of Scotton belonging to ye parish of Catherick." The school was, with the permission of the Charity Commissioners, converted into a Public Elementary School, and placed under Government Inspection in 1880. It was enlarged in 1885, at a cost of nearly £300, raised by voluntary subscription, and is under the care of Mr. R. Scambler. The school is attended by 120 children of both sexes, and is maintained solely by the endowment, and the Government grant earned by examination.
There is also a very excellent Catholic Boarding School here (St. Paulinus' Academy), conducted by Mr. Skellon. The premises are spacious and well ventilated, with accommodation for 70 boys, who are prepared for the various public examinations.
The Wesleyan Chapel is a plain building, erected in 1842. It will seat 15 persons.
A little to the S. of the village is Bainesse, the residence of Mr. D. Cowper, one of the most extensive farmers in the north of England. The house is close to the great Roman road, which ran south from Catterick to York, and evidently occupies the site of a Roman villa, various remains of Roman buildings having been found on the spot in former times. During the erection of a sunk fence round the pleasure grounds in January, 1887, there was discovered a very perfect Roman balance made entirely of bronze, and in a good state of preservation. About the same time were found three human skeletons, and several Roman coins, but none of great value.
Catterick races, an important local meeting, are held yearly for two days in Easter week. The course is near Catterick Bridge, in the township of Brough.
APPLETON township comprises 1,585 acres, of which the gross annual rental is £2,791, and rateable value £2,538. It is chiefly the property of the Duke of Leeds, who is also the lord of the manor, and Lord Conyors. It includes the two small hamlets of East and West Appleton, distant about two miles from Catterick. Appleton Old Hall in the former, now occupied by Mr. William Norfolk, farmer, was, in the 17th century, one of the manorial residences of Sir Roger de Croft. Winterfield, the residence of S. T. Jones, Esq., land agent to the Duke of Leeds, is also in this township.
BROUGH is a township of waving woods and verdant meadows, lying on the south bank of the Swale. It comprises an area of 1,082 acres, the property of Sir John Lawson, Bart. Its rateable value is £1,457, and population 120.
It was formerly the manor and seat of the family of Burgh or Brough, which was located here at an early period, John de Burgh, Esq., who died in 1412, was the son of Richard de Richmond, but assumed his mother's name and arms when he inherited, through her, this manor. His widow and son rebuilt Catterick Church. The direct male line terminated in Roger Burgh, whose only daughter and heiress, Elizabeth, conveyed the estate in marriage, early in the 17th century, to Ralph Lawson, Esq., subsequently knighted by King James in the first year of his reign. This gentleman was the son of Edmund Lawson - one of the Lawsons of Cramlington Hall, Northumberland, where his ancestors had been seated since the reign of Henry V. - and Margery Swynhow, heiress of Rock Hall, in the same county. Roger Lawson, Esq., the eldest son of this marriage, wedded Dorothy, daughter of Sir Henry Constable, and possessed lands at Heaton and St. Anthony's, near Newcastle-on-Tyne, but predeceased his father. His eldest son, Henry Lawson, Esq., of Brough Hall, succeeded to the estates on the death of his grandfather. At his decease, Brough Hall was inherited by his eldest surviving son, John Lawson, Esq. In the struggle between Charles I. and the Parliament, Mr. Lawson espoused the king's cause and held a captaincy in the royal army, for which his estates were sequestered and himself banished the kingdom by order of Cromwell. After the restoration of monarchy, he was rewarded for his sufferings and losses in the cause of royalty by being created a baronet by Charles II., in 1665. He married Catherine, daughter of Sir William Howard, Naworth Castle, and was succeeded by his son, Sir Henry, after whom came, in succession, son following father, Sir John, Sir Henry, and Sir John, who died in 1811, leaving two daughters, Anastasia, who married Thomas Strickland, Esq., of Sizergh, and Elizabeth, married to John Wright, Esq., of Kelvedon, and was succeeded in the title and estates by his brother, Sir Henry. This gentleman dying without issue, the title became extinct, but the family estates devolved on his nephew, William Wright, Esq., who assumed the name of Lawson, and was created a baronet in 1841. The present baronet is his son.
The Hall is a handsome stone mansion erected in the reign of Charles I., and subsequently enlarged by the addition of two side wings by Sir John Lawson in the 18th century. Many alterations and improvements were made by the late Sir William Lawson.
A short distance from the Hall is the Catholic Church, erected in 1834-7, at the sole expense of the late baronet. It is in the earliest pointed style, the architect having chosen for his model the ancient chapel, now the Library of the Dean and Chapter, York, and is throughout an exquisite piece of workmanship. The walls are of polished sandstone, within as well as without, and the roof of stained oak, supported by semicircular ribs elaborately enriched with Norman ornament. The side walls are divided by pilasters, from which spring alternately round and pointed arches, and in the former, which are much wider than the latter, are lancet windows of three lights each. The east and west windows are clustered lancets of five lights; the former is filled with stained glass, disposed in mosaic patterns of a rich and varied design, copied from the "Five Sisters" window in York Minster. The altar is of stone, supported on open trefoiled arches, through which is seen a stone shrine containing the relics of St. Innocent. These were found in the catacombs of Rome, and presented by Pope Gregory XVI., to Sir William Lawson. This altar is a copy of one of the shrines in York Minster. The reredos of carved oak is a beautiful piece of work, designed by Mrs. Goldie, of London, and executed by Mr. Milburn, of York. It was erected in 1887 to commemorate the Jubilee of the Church. On the north side is a tribune set apart for the founder's family.
Catterick Bridge is a small hamlet in this township, one mile N. of Catterick village. The great Roman road here crossed the Swale, and proceeded thence due north. The present bridge, erected in 1425, superseded "the olde stane brigg," which spanned the stream a little further down. The original indenture for its erection is still preserved at Brough Hall, and from it we learn that the work was undertaken by three masons, who contracted to build it for £173 6s. 8d., with the free use of the neighbouring quarries, and a gown apiece each of the years they were employed in the work. At the south end of the bridge stood a small Chapel or Oratory, dedicated to St. Anne, in which mass was celebrated daily for the benefit of travellers, and alms received for the repair of the bridge. This chapel was taken down about a century ago to admit of the widening of the bridge, but traces of it still exist in one of the cellars of the adjoining inn. Leland quaintly mentions this hostelry, which appears to have been in his time (reign of Henry VIII.) the only house in the village; "Katerick Bridg selfe bath but one hous as an yn".
On the same side of the river, and not far from the bridge, stood the Hospital of St. Giles, founded, it is supposed, by Henry Fitz-Randolph, of Ravensworth, in the beginning of the reign of Henry III. Its revenue, about £8 per annum, was confiscated by the Crown at the Reformation; and the Hospital, having been subsequently converted into a farmhouse, was entirely removed in the latter part of last century, and another house erected near the site.
COLBURN township, containing 1,357 acres, is chiefly the property of Sir John Lawson, Bart., who is also lord of the manor, and Mrs. Hildyard. Rateable value, £1,410; and population, 102.
The village is situated about three miles S.E. of Richmond. Colburn Hall, once a seat of the D'Arcy family, was re-built in 1662, as shown by the date on the end of the house. It is now the residence of a farmer. Near the hall stood a small chapel, dedicated to St. Anne, vestiges of which may be seen in the farm stables.
HIPSWELL township, containing 2,785 acres, lies on the south bank of the Swale, and is chiefly the property of Mrs. Prior-Wandesford, Kirklington Hall, Ripon; and the trustees of Kirkby Hill Hospital. The Wandesfords came into possession of the estate in the latter part of the 16th century, by the marriage of Anne, elder daughter and co-heiress of John Fulthorpe, with Francis Wandesforde, Esq., of Kirklington; and Hipswell Hall was erected by one of the family in 1596. Though new reduced to the homestead of a farmer, it was formerly a structure of considerable magnitude, from which a large quantity of the material used in the construction of the present church was obtained. Near to the hall is Chapel Garth, where the chapel formerly stood.
On the bank of the Swale, opposite Richmond, stood St. Martin's Priory, of which only a few fragments remain. It was founded about the year 1100 by Whyomar, Lord of Aske and Chief Steward to the Earl of Richmond, who gave certain lands in Edlinthorpe, Thornton, Forcett, and Scotton, and also certain tithes in Thornton, Leyburn, Colburn, &c., to St. Mary's Abbey, York. In consequence of this grant, nine or ten monks were despatched from that house to establish a subordinate cell here. Other benefactors added to the endowment. The churches of Richmond and Catterick were given to them, and the village of Gilmunby, near Bowes, with common of pasture there, was granted in exchange for the grove, afterwards called Earl Orchard, opposite the castle of Richmond. The brotherhood professed the Benedictine rule, and were subject in matters spiritual to St. Mary's Abbey, York. At the Dissolution the clear rental was valued at £43 16s. 8d., and there were then in the house a prior, John Matthew, and nine monks. The site was granted by Edward VI. to Lord Clinton, Lord High Admiral of England, at a yearly rental of £3 19s. l1d., and an annual payment of £5 for finding a priest to perform the cure within the church of St. Martin and Monkby. His lordship sold the site with all buildings, orchards, gardens, ponds, &c., the same year to William Pepper, Esq., and Cuthbert Walker, yeoman, for £800, the purchasers to pay the fee-farm rent to the King, and the yearly stipend to the priest. William Walker succeeded to his father's (Cuthbert's) share, and, in 1557, bequeathed it to the Hospital of St. John the Baptist, at Kirkby Ravensworth, to which it still belongs.
The descendants of William Pepper sold off their large share at various times to several persons.
The village of Hipswell is situated about two miles S.E. of Richmond. A chapel was erected here long before the Reformation, the ministerial duties of which were performed by the monks of St. Martin's Priory. The district allotted to it embraces the township of Hipswell, which gives its name to the chapelry, and those of Colburn and Scotton. The church, which is dedicated to St. John the Evangelist, was re-built in 1811, in the later English style of Gothic architecture. It is a plain stone structure, with small apsidal chancel, porch, and vestry. The building is damp in places, and much out of repair, and strenuous efforts are new being made by the present incumbent, the Rev. H. A. Annesley, A.K.C., L.Th., to raise the funds necessary for its speedy and complete restoration. The late vicar, the Rev. Richard Wilson, B,A., to whose memory a handsome monumental tablet has been placed in the church by his niece, Miss Wilson, of Catterick, held the incumbency from 1837 till 1885, when he retired from active service, and died on the 22nd of March, 1887, aged 79.
The living is a perpetual curacy, in the gift of the Vicar of Catterick. After the suppression of the Priory, the curate's income was fixed at £5, which was a charge upon the owners of the site, as above stated; but it has since been augmented by private benefactions, Queen Anne's Bounty, and Parliamentary grant, and is new worth £110. A new parsonage was built in 1885-6, at a cost of about £1,300. It stands in the township of Scotton, upon a site (two acres) given by Mrs. Stevenson, of Scotton Hall, who contributed handsomely towards the cost of erection.
The school, with residence attached, was erected in 1815. The site was given by Lady Yeoman, and Cockin's Charity (£100 left in 1757) was appropriated towards the cost of erection. It possesses accommodation for 54 children, and has an average attendance of 45. It is supported by a voluntary rate of one penny in the £, government grant, school fees, and the voluntary contributions of the landowners of the chapelry. The school is a mixed one under a master, Mr. R. H. Glenton.
The other hamlets in the township are Holy Hill and Waitworth, or Waitwith.
CHARITY. - Christopher Plews, of Waitwith, in 1665, left £100 for apprenticing poor children of Hipswell chapelry: With this money was purchased 18 acres of land, of which the present annual rental is £30. This charity has, in recent years, been distributed among the deserving poor.
HUDSWELL is a township and chapelry, extending from the bank of the Swale southward to Rodscar Fell, and comprising an area of 2,831 acres. A portion of the township is moorland, but, generally, the scenery is diversified and picturesque. Its rateable value is £2,147, and population 181. This manor was granted soon after the Conquest to Emsant Musard, constable of Richmond Castle, and Roaldus, his son and successor, gave a portion of his lands here to the neighbouring priory of St. Martin; and the remainder of the estate be subsequently appropriated to St. Agatha's Abbey, Easby, for the support of that house. After the dissolution of monasteries, one of these portions was purchased by Francis Wandesford for the sum of £888 7s. 6d., and is now the property of Mrs. Prior-Wandesford; the other passed into various hands, and now belongs to J. T. D'Arcy-Hutton, Esq.; C. G. Croft, Esq., Richmond; J. Carter-Squire, Esq., Catterick; and Mr. Alexander Kilburn, Richmond.
The village, formerly the well, or vil, of a Saxon named Hudde, is situated on the south bank of the Swale, a short distance from the river. The Church is a handsome Early English edifice, built in 1884, at a cost of upwards of £1,500, raised by subscription and a bazaar. It consists of a nave, a chancel half as long as the nave, vestry on the north side, south porch, and small octagonal bell turret at the south-west angle. The roof of the nave is open timbered; that in the chancel, octagonal, boarded on the under-side and divided into panels by moulded ribs. The seats - all of which are free and open - are of pitch pine, as also are the pulpit, reading-desk, and lectern.
The old church, which previously occupied the site, was a very plain ancient structure, of a much mixed up style of architecture, but there was sufficient of an Early English character, viz., the lancet windows of the south wall of the ehancel, a small piscina, an aumbry, and other fragments, to show that it had been originally erected in the thirteenth century, when that style of architecture prevailed. It had been, subsequently, several times restored, patched, and altered, and finally square windows of no Gothic character were inserted, probably some time last century. The most interesting relics of the early church have been preserved in the new edifice. The old lancet windows now do duty in the vestry; the piscina and a holy water stoup have been placed in the same comparative positions, and some old grave slabs and fragments of curiously carved stones have been, built into the wall of the church.
Hudswell is an ancient chapelry in the parish of Catterick, co-extensive with the township. The living is a perpetual curacy, worth £107, with 11½ acres of glebe land and vicarage house. It is in the gift of the Vicar of Catterick, and held by the Rev. J. E. Torbett, B.A., Dub. The Registers commence in 1600.
The School is endowed with 24a. 3r. 32p., allotted at the enclosure of Hudswell Moor, in 1808, which lets for £12 a year; and it also receives from the trustees of Hutton's Charity a grant of £5 per annum, for which six children are taught free.
CHARITIES. - Christopher Plewes, in 1642, left to the poor of this chapelry £100, with which was purchased 9a. 10p. of land; and Thomas Thompson, in 1770, bequeathed £30, which was also invested in land. These charities are now administered under a new scheme, sanctioned by the Charity Commissioners, on the 9th November, 1888. Under this scheme the trustees may apply the yearly income in one or more of the following ways, as shall be considered by them most advantageous to the recipients, and most conducive to the formation of provident habits:- (1) The supply of clothing, linen, bedding, fuel, tools, medical or other aid in sickness, food or other articles in kind to an amount not exceeding £5 in any one year. (2) The supply of temporary relief in money, by way of loan or otherwise, in case of unexpected loss, urgent distress, or sudden destitution. Provided always that the trustees may, if they think fit, apply the whole or any portion of the income of the said charity in putting out poor children of the said township as apprentices, or apply a portion of such income in payments to a minister officiating in the church of Hudswell.
Round Howe. - In this township, on the south bank of the Swale, is a very remarkable natural curiosity, known by the name of the Round Howe, a lofty conical hill, rising from the centre of a deep hollow or amphitheatre of rocks, thickly clothed with woods. The mound itself is also rock, but covered with trees and verdure, and of the same geological formation as the surrounding cliffs, from which it must have been detached by some tremendous convulsion at a remote period. Some writers, however, have given it an artificial origin, and attribute it to the Druids, who, they suppose, excavated the hollow to form a temple for their worship. Near the Howe is a large natural cave in the rock, called Arthur's Oven, but the legend, for doubtless there was one, has long been forgotten. In the woods are traces of some long-disused copper mines.
In the moors, about a mile south of the village of Hudswell, are some small seams of coal, which were worked sixty years ago, and now the old mine has been leased by an enterprising Newcastle firm, who are driving a "close drift" through the old workings to get at the solid coal not hitherto penetrated.
Broakes and Sandbeck are hamlets in this township, distant respectively one and two miles S.E. of Hudswell.
KILLERBY is a small township of 712 acres, situated on the south bank of the Swale, about 2 miles S.E. of Catterick. The Earl of Richmond, soon after the Conquest, granted this manor to Schollandus of Bedale, his sewer, whose office was to serve out the viands at the earl's table. Agnes, his granddaughter, carried it in marriage to Brian Fitz Alan, one of whose descendants, Sir Brian Fitz Alan, Earl of Arundel, in the 19th Edward I. (1291), obtained the royal license to make a Castle of his manor house at Kilwardeby. But this was in ruins when Leland wrote 350 years ago, and on the site now stands Killerby Hall, the property of the exors. of the late J. B. Booth, Esq., the principal landowners and lords of the manor, and the residence of Captain Guthrie, of Guthrie Castle, Forfarshire, late of 19th Hussars. Edward H. Courage, Esq., Kirkby Fleetham Hall, also owns a considerable estate in Killerby. The township is valued, for rating purposes, at £814, and had, in 1881, 59 inhabitants. The hamlet consists of a few scattered houses about 2½ miles from Catterick.
SCOTTON township, containing 1,500 acres, of which 1,386¼ acres are under assessment, is also partly in the parish of Patrick Brompton. The gross estimated rental is £1,409, and rateable value, £1,278. The village, whose name savours of the tax collector's office in Saxon times (the ton where scot was paid), is situated about four miles S.E. of Richmond. Scotton Hall is a neat modern mansion, the property and occasional residence of Mrs. E. E. Stevenson, by whose father it was erected about 22 years ago. Sir John and Lady Cowell, Clifton Castle, Bedale, are also extensive landowners in the township.
TUNSTALL township, with a rateable area of 1,257 acres, is the property of the Countess Yarborough, the exors. of H. C. Marshall, Esq., Keswick; Mrs. Matthew Marley, Skelton-in-Cleveland; Miss Harriet Chaytor, Clarveaux Castle, Croft; and Sir John Lawson, Bart., Brough Hall. The gross rental of the township is £1,900, and its rateable value, £1,707. The village is situated about six miles S.E. of Richmond, and two miles S.W. of Catterick. The Church or Chapel-of-Ease, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, was erected in 1847, at a cost of £900, raised by subscription. It is a small stone structure, in the Early English style, consisting of nave and chancel, with bell turret at the west gable. Service is held here once every Sunday by the vicar or curate of Catterick.
The Wesleyan and Primitive Methodists have each chapels in the village, the former rebuilt in 1876, and the latter erected in 1879.
The National School receives £17 a year out of Siddal's Charity towards its support. There is, however, no claim on the fund, and in 1887, in consequence of the increased expenditure at Catterick no grant was made to Tunstall that year, but the managers expect to participate again shortly in the charity.
The air of the township appears conducive to longevity. In the early part of this century there were living in the village, at the same time, two women, each of whom had passed her 100th year. Their names were Helen Glenton and Ann Reynolds, and, strangely, they died within a few days of each other, the former aged 107, and the latter 103 years.
[Description(s) from Bulmer's History and Directory of North Yorkshire (1890)]
Scan, OCR and html by Colin Hinson. Checking and correction by Peter Nelson.