The Ancient Parish of CATTERICK
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]
"CATTERICK, a parish in the wapentake of Hang East, and liberty of
Richmondshire; 5 miles ESE. of Richmond, and about one mile from the Southern
banks of the Swale. Here is a large and ancient parish church, dedicated to St.
Anne (see Churches for photograph); the living is a vicarage in the gift of the Crown, and the Rev.
Alexander John Scott, D.D. chaplain to His Majesty, is the incumbent."
(There is further information for Catterick).
Information on the following places in this Parish is contained on a supplementary page.
- Bolton On Swale
- Catterick Bridge
- East Appleton
- Ellerton Upon Swale
- Hipswell Lodge
- Holly Hill
- Killerby Grange
- Rudd Hall
- Saint Giles
- Saint Martin's Abbey
- Sand Beck
- Thorpe Under Stone
- Winterlow Hill
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
- Here are photographs of Churches in the parish:
St. Anne's Church, Catterick.
The Methodist Church, Catterick.
Holy Trinity Church, Tunstall. The church was built in 1847 at a cost of £900.
The former Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Tunstall, opened in 1876 and for sale in 2006 when the photograph was taken.
St. Mary's Church, Bolton on Swale (view 1).
St. Mary's Church, Bolton on Swale (view 2).
St. Cuthbert's Church, Colburn.
St. John the Evangelist's Church, Hipswell.
St. Michael and all Angels' Church, Hudswell.
The Methodist Church, Scorton.
(The Church's website is here.)
The former Wesleyan Chapel, Hudswell, founded in 1859 and closed in 1974.
St. Martin and St. Oswald's Garrison Memorial Church, Catterick Garrison.
St. Aidan's Garrison Church, Catterick Garrison. Church of Scotland, built in 1929. In 1983 it became known as St.
Aidan's Church of Scotland and Free Church. Now associated
with the Methodist, Baptist and all free Churches.
St. Joan of Arc's Roman Catholic Church, Catterick Garrison.
The former United Board Church, Catterick Garrison, now St. John's Centre.
(With short history).
St. Martin's Priory, Richmond.
St. Martin's Priory wall remnants, Richmond.
- On 12th August, 1885, the chapelry of Bolton-on-Swale (in this parish) was
constituted a distinct parish by an Order in Council. This new parish comprised the
townships of Bolton-on-Swale, Ellerton, Kiplin, Scorton, Uckerby, and Whitwell.
- This web-site gives details of the world's oldest sporting
event, dating back to 1673 - describes the formation of the
Society of Archers, which had its origins in the village of
Scorton, parish of Catterick. Site includes a free .pdf download
of "The Antient Scorton Silver Arrow" by Ben Hird, published 1972.
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal
use or as given in the conditions of use.
If you have any suggestions for links to other sites that may be useful to other researchers,
please use this User Links page
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2015