"BOLTON ON SWALE, in the parish of Catterick, wapentake of Gilling East, and liberty of Richmondshire, 1 mile NE. of Catterick, 6 miles ESE. of Richmond. Here is a very ancient church which is a Chapel of Ease to the parish church of Catterick, of which the Rev. Thomas Wilson Morley, is curate.
Here is a handsome pyramid which marks the grave of Henry Jenkins, the oldest Englishman upon record. For further account of him see Ellerton. Pop. 100."
"BRECKENBROUGH, a farm house in the township of Brough and parish of Catterick; 2 mile WSW. of Catterick, 5 from Richmond."
"BROKES, a farm house in the parish of Catterick, wapentake of Hang East, and liberty of Richmondshire; 5¼ miles W. of Catterick, 3 miles SW. of Richmond; a small hamlet in the township of Hudswell."
"BROUGH, in the parish of Catterick, wapentake of Hang East, and liberty of Richmondshire; (Brough Hall, the seat of Sir Henry Maire Lawson, Bart.) 1½ miles W. of Catterick, 5 miles SE. of Richmond, There is here a Catholic chapel, of which the Rev. Mr. Lauriston, is minister. This township is rendered highly picturesque and beautiful by the venerable woods, verdant lawns, and smooth lakes, which surround the stately mansion of Sir H. Lawson. Population 90.
Brough-Hall formerly belonged to the ancient family of Brough, from whom it had its name, and from them came into the present family by marriage. It has been built above 200 years, but considerably improved and altered to its present state, by the last Sir John Lawson, who added the wings. The family from whom this is descended, were for many generations seated at Burwell, in Northumberland. -Sir John, the first baronet, created Jul 6, 1665, was captain of horse in the army of Charles I. in whose service his elder brother Henry was slain. - Sir henry, the present and 6th baronet succeeded his brother John, June, 27, 1811."
"CATTERICK BRIDGE, and INN, in the parish of Catterick, wapentake of Hang East, and liberty of Richmondshire; 1 mile NW. of Catterick, 4 miles E. of Richmond. The amateurs of the turf enjoy an annual treat on the beautiful race ground, opposite this Inn; the races are on the Wednesday & Thursday in Easter week.
Of this place Dr. Whitaker observes, "that whereas Camden understands by the vicusjuxta Cataractum, a village near the Cataract, I should conceive that he means the village near the Roman Cataractonium, which was certainly by the present bridge; and that the village meant by Bede is the modern town of Catterick, which, from the site of the church, I conceive to have been the Saxon town." Upon the south-end of this bridge was formerly a Chapel or Oratory, where, as tradition tells us, Mass was said every day at eleven o'clock for the benefit of Travellers. By whom or at what time it was founded is not said or known. At present it is used as a coal magazine for the adjacent Inn. -Grose."
"COLBURN, in the parish of Catterick, wapentake of Hang East, and liberty of Richmondshire; 2½ miles W. of Catterick, 2½ miles SE. of Richmond. Population, 133."
"EAST APPLETON, (and West Appleton) a township in the parish of Catterick, wapentake of Hang-East; 1½ miles S. of Catterick, 5 from Bedale. Population 87.
Here died in 1673, that facetious and eccentric genius, Drunken Barnaby, or Barnaby Harrington, but whose real name appears to have been Richard Braithwaite, a native of Burneshead, in the county of Westmorland, leaving behind him, says WOOD, the character of a "well bred gentleman and a good neighbour." He was author of many popular pieces, as well as of the Journal. -The following monumental inscription to his memory appears in Catterick Church.
Juxta sitae sunt
De Burneshead, in comitate
Westmorelandae armigeri, et
Mariae, ejus conjugis, Reliquiae.
Ille quarto die Maii, anno, 1673,
Donatus est; haec undecimo Aprilis 1681.
Supremum diem obiit. Horum filius
Unicus, Strafford Braithwaite, Eques
Auratus, adversus Mauros Christiani
Nominis hostes infestissimos, fortiter
Dimicans, occubuit. Cujus Cineres
Tingi in Mauritania Tingitana
Requiescant in Pace.
"ELLERTON UPON SWALE, in the parish of Catterick, wapentake of Gilling East, and liberty of Richmondshire; 1 mile E. of Catterick, 5 miles ESE. of Richmond. This place is remarkable for having been the birth place of Henry Jenkins, who lived to the amazing age of 169 years, being sixteen years older than the famous old Parr; he died December 8th, 1670, at this place.
In the church-yard of Bolton is a plain stone pillar, on which is the following inscription on one side of the pedestal.
This monument was
Erected by CONTRIBUTION
In ye year 1743, to ye memory of
On the other,
and in the Church is a Monument to his memory, with an inscription written by Dr Thomas Chapman placed upon the Tablet:
"Blush not marble
To rescue from oblivion the memory of
A person obscure in birth,
But of a life truly memorable;
For he was enriched with the goods of nature
If not of fortune;
And happy in the duration, if not the variety
of his enjoyments;
And though the partial world despised and
His low and humble state,
The equal eye of providence beheld and
With a patriarch's health and length of days;
To teach mistaken man
These blessings are entailed on temperance,
A life of labour, and a mind at ease."
"HIPSWELL, in the parish of Catterick wapentake of Hang East, and liberty of Richmondshire; 3½ miles W. of Catterick, 8 miles SE. of Richmond. The Church is a perpetual curacy. Patron, the vicar of Catterick. Population, 273."
"HIPSWELL LODGE, (the seat of Thomas Hutchinson, Esq). in the township of Hipswell, and parish of Catterick; 4 miles W. of Catterick, 2½ miles from Richmond."
"HOLLY HILL, (or Sleighill) in the parish of Catterick, wapentake of Hang West, & liberty of Richmondshire. A small hamlet near Richmond, pleasantly situated on the banks of the Swale, commanding a perspective view of Richmond castle, and the rocky sides of the mount on which it stands. 4¾ miles WNW. of Catterick."
"HUDSWELL, in the parish of Catterick, wapentake of hang West, and liberty of Richmondshire; 6 miles WNW. of Catterick, 2 miles SW. of Richmond. There is in this township an extensive lead mine, and also a colliery. The Chapel of Ease is a small ancient structure, of which the Rev. James Bradley, is curate. The extraordinary mount called Round How, is in this township. Pop. 305."
"KILLERBY, a single house in the parish of Catterick wap of Hang East, and liberty of Richmondshire; 1½ miles SE. of Catterick, 6 miles SE. of Richmond. The residence of John Booth, Esq. Pop. 48.
In the 19th Edward I. Brian Fitz-Alan of Bedale, obtained license to make a Castle of his house at Kilwardeby. -Dugdale. The Castle which stood here, was in ruins in Leland's time, who says " Killarby Castil Ruine in Ripaciter Swalae, about a ii (2) mile south from Keterick.""
"KILLERBY GRANGE, a farm house in the township and parish and parish of Catterick. (No Grid Reference for this, can you help?)."
"KIPLIN, in the parish of Catterick, wapentake of Gilling East, and liberty of Richmondshire (Kiplin Hall, the seat of the Right Hon. Earl Tyrconnel); 2½ miles ESE. of Catterick, 7 miles NW. of Northallerton. Pop. 100.
The title of Earl Tyrconnel. George Carpenter, the first Lord, was created Baron Carlenter of Killarghy, in 1719; and George Carpenter the third Lord, and first Earl, advanced to the dignities of Viscount Carlingford, and Earl Tyrconnel, in 1761. -Debret. John Delaval Carpenter, the fourth and present Earl, born Dec. 16, 1790, married the only daughter and heiress of the late Robert Crowe, Esq. of Kiplin.
Here in 1582, was born George Calvert, the first Lord Baltimore. He was educated at Trinity-College, Oxford, after which he went abroad, and at his return entered into the service of Robert Cecil, Secretary of State to James I. In 1605, he was created M. A. in 1617 he received the honour of Knighthood; and In 1619 he was appointed to be one of the principal Secretaries of State: In 1625 be was created (by the name of Sir George Calvert of Danby-wiske, in Yorkshire, Knight) Baron of Baltimore, in the county of Longford, in Ireland. He wrote " Carmen funebre in D. Hen. Untonum, and many other pieces." There are some of his letters in the Harleian M. S. collection, and some in Hearne's collection, 4to. -Magna Brit."
"RUDD HALL, a farm house in the township of East-Appleton, and parish of Catterick; 2 miles S. of Catterick, 6 from Bedale."
"SAINT GILES, a farm house in the parish of Catterick, wapentake of Hang East, and liberty of Richmondshire; 2 miles WNW. of Catterick, 3 miles ESE. of Richmond.
On the south side of the Swale, opposite to Brompton, "was the ancient Hospital of St. Giles, founded, it is supposed, by Henry Fitz Randolph, of Ravensworth, in the beginning of the reign of Henry III. the master of which held two bovates of land in Brompton. The annual payment of 8L. which constituted the principal part of its revenues, at the reformation, was then confiscated to the Crown, and becoming afterwards a rent-charge upon the estate of Sir John Lawson, of Brough-Hall, it was purchased by him some years ago from the Crown. The hospital was for a long time after its dissolution, made use of as a farm-house, but wanting many repairs, it was pulled down, and every appearance of it is now obliterated. The site, and the estate belonging to it, is now the property of Sir Henry Maire Lawson, Bart.""
"SAINT MARTIN'S ABBEY, in the parish of Catterick, wapentake of Hang East, and liberty of Richmondshire; 4¼ miles WNW. of Catterick, 1 mile S. of Richmond. Population, 23.
Here was a Priory of Benedictine monks, founded about the year 1100 by Whyomar, lord of Aske, chief steward to Allan, earl of Richmond. It was valued at the dissolution in 1528, clear rental, at £43. 16s. 8d. and surrendered by John Matthew, the last Prior, and nine Monks. The site was granted in the 4th of Edward VI. to Edward, lord Clinton, lord high admiral of England, who sold it the same year to William Pepper, of St. Martin's, Esq., and to Cuthbert and William Walker, of Richmond. The walls of the chapel, a tower, and some other fragments are all that remain of this Priory, and are fast mouldering away. -Burton."
"SAND BECK, in the parish of Catterick, wapentake of Hang East, and liberty of Richmondshire; flows into the River Swale opposite Easby Abbey."
"SCORTON, in the chapelry of Bolton and parish of Catterick, wapentake of Gilling East, and liberty of Richmondshire; 1½ miles NNE. of Catterick, 5 miles E. of Richmond. Here is a Free Grammar School, with an endowment of £200 per ann. left by Leonard Robinson, Esq. The school house was erected in the year 1760, and the Rev. W. Bowe, officiating curate at Bolton, is the master. There is in this township a noted spring, called St. Cuthbert's Well, (otherwise, Cuddy Kell;) it is supposed to derive its name from a monastery, dedicated to St. Cuthbert, said to have stood upon the same spot, but not a vestige of it now remains. The water is useful in the cure of cutaneous diseases, and rheumatism; it flows into a brook, which empties itself into the Swale, below Ripling, and which brook is noted for large fine flavoured trout. The village is airy, and generally well built, in form rather irregular, but approaching to a square. In the centre is a spacious green, raised three or four feet from the level of the road; to the North side is a good Inn, and an elegant building for the school; on the East the buildings are appropriated to the purpose of a religious Catholic community, of the order of St. Clair. The persons forming this establishment, came over from Normandy, in 1795, after the French Revolution, and settled first at Haggerston Castle, in Northumberland, but removed to Scorton, in 1807. The house consists of 30 nuns, and 20 boarders. Mrs. Sisson, is abbess, Mrs. Innes, governess, and the Rev. Mr. Kirby. priest; and for the use of the community and others, a chapel is now building, which is to be dedicated to St. Clair. There is here a small congregation of Methodists but they have as yet no chapel. Pop. 496."
"SCOTTON, in the parish of Catterick, wapentake of Hang East, and liberty of Richmondshire; 3¼ miles WSW. of Catterick, 4 miles SSE. of Richmond. Pop. 128."
"SLEEGILL, a hamlet in the township of Hipswell, and parish of Catterick, wapentake of Hang-East; it is separated from Richmond by the River Swale."
"THORNBROUGH, a farm house in the township of Brough, and parish of Catterick; 1¼ miles NW. of Catterick.
Many Roman coins have at different times been found here; one of gold, with this inscription, "NERO IMP. CAESAR," on the reverse, " JUPITER CUSTOS;" and bases of old pillars, and brass pots full of Roman coins, mostly copper, but some of silver, have likewise been discovered here. --Camden."
"THORPE UNDER STONE, in the parish of Catterick, wapentake of Hang West, & liberty of Richmondshire; 7½ miles WNW. of Catterick, 4 miles W. of Richmond."
"TUNSTALL, in the parish of Catterick, wapentake of Hang East. and liberty of Richmondshire; 2 miles SW. of Catterick, 6 miles SSE of Richmond. A village famed for the longevity of its inhabitants. In 1808, Helen Glenton and Ann Reynolds died here within a few days of each other, the former at the age of 107 and the latter at the age of 103. Pop. 253."
"UCKERBY, in the parish of Catterick, wapentake of Gilling East, and liberty of Richmondshire; 2¾ miles N. of Catterick, 6 miles ENE. of Richmond. Pop. 52."
"WAITWORTH, in the parish of Catterick, wapentake of Hang East, and liberty of Richmondshire; 2 miles SSW. of Richmond."
"WHITWELL, in the parish of Catterick, wapentake of Gilling East, & liberty of Richmondshire; 2¾ miles ENE. of Catterick, 6½ miles E. of Richmond. Pop. 99."
"WINTERLOW HILL, (now Wintylow) a farm house in the township of Colburn, and parish of Catterick; 3 miles from Catterick and Richmond."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]