"CAYTON, a parish in the wapentake of PICKERING lythe, North riding of the county of YORK, comprising the townships of Cayton-Deepdale with Killerby, and Osgodby, and containing 519 inhabitants, of which number, 447 are in the township of Cayton-Deepdale, 4 miles S.E.. from Scarborough. The living is a perpetual curacy annexed to the vicarage of Seamer, in the archdeaconry' of the East riding, and diocese of York. The church is dedicated to St. Leonard. There are places of worship for Primitive and Wesleyan Methodists. A school is endowed with £15 a year."
"OSGODBY, a township in the parish of CAYTON, PICKERING lythe, North riding of the county of YORK, S% miles S.E. from Scarborough, containing 72 inhabitants."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]