GENUKI Home page    Cayton Parish<br>main page Cayton
Parish
main page

CAYTON:
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

"CAYTON, a parish, in the wapentake of Pickering Lythe, in the North Riding of the county of York, 3 miles S.E. of Scarborough. It includes the hamlets of Willerby and Deepdale, and the townships of Cayton and Osgodby. The village is situated near the coast, and is a station on the Scarborough and Hull section of the North-Eastern railway. The living is a curacy annexed to the vicarage of Seamer, in the diocese of York, in the patronage of Lord Londesborough. The church, dedicated to St. Leonard, is a handsome stone building with embattled tower. The Wesleyans have a place of worship, and there are schools for both sexes."


"DEEPDALE, a hamlet in the parish of Cayton, in the North Riding of the county of York, 3 miles S.E. of Scarborough."


"KILLERBY, a hamlet in the parish of Cayton, wapentake of Pickering Lythe, North Riding county York, 4 miles S.E. of Scarborough. It is situated near the coast, and had formerly a castle built by Brian Fitzalan in the reign of Edward L"


"OSGODBY, a township in the parish of Cayton, wapentake of Pickering Lythe, North Riding county York, 2 miles S.E. of Scarborough."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson 2003


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014