Wapentake of Pickering Lythe - Petty Sessional Division of Pickering Lythe East - Electoral Division of Scalby - Poor Law Union and County Court District of Scarborough - Rural Deanery of Scarborough - Archdeaconry of Cleveland - Diocese of York.
This parish is situated on the coast to the south of Scarborough, and comprises the township of Cayton, with which Osgodby was united by a Local Government Order in 1886. It contains 3,504 acres of land, and is rated at £6,064. The population in 1881 was 609. The earl of Londesborough is the principal owner, and Edward Donner, Esq., Rusholme, Manchester, the lord of the manor.
The Hull and Scarborough branch of the North Eastern Railway skirts the parish on the south, and has a station near the village, which is distant about four miles S.E. from Scarborough.
The Church, dedicated to St. Leonard, is an ancient structure consisting of chancel, nave, north aisle, and square embattled tower with crocketed pinnacles, containing three bells. It was restored in 1862 when the flat roof was replaced by an open timbered one, the gallery removed, and several new windows inserted. The chancel retains its ancient piscina, and from the discovery of another at the east end of the north aisle, we may infer the presence of a chapel (probably a chantry), there in catholic times, The south doorway is Norman with zigzag moulding. Other parts of the church are Early English and later styles. The font is modern. There are monuments of the Beilbys of Killerby, and of the Wyvilles of Osgodby, but none are more ancient than the 18th century. Cayton had its church at the time of the Norman Conquest. The living is a perpetual curacy united with the vicarage of Seamer.
The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have chapels in the village.
The educational affairs are managed by a School Board formed in 1876 for the united district of Cayton and Lebberston, and a school was erected in 1877. It is attended by about 100 children.
The township includes the hamlets of Deepdale and Killerby, the latter formerly the property and residence of the Beilbys.
Osgodby, containing 1,375 acres, and formerly a separate township, was amalgamated with Cayton as before stated in 1886. In Torre's MSS. it is stated that there was a church at Osgodby in very early times dedicated to St. Leonard, and in the wall of one of the outbuildings of Osgodby Hall is a window, now filled in, which appears to have once belonged to a sacred edifice.
The Scarborough Water Co., have works here and also at Cayton Bay. At the former place the water is pumped from a well at the rate of 660 gallons per minute, and at the latter it is collected from the hills into a reservoir.
CHARITY. - Mr. John Jackson of Cayton, who died in 1878, left £500 in Government securities, the interest thereof to be distributed by the vicar and churchwardens among the deserving poor at Christmas.
Scan, OCR and html by Colin Hinson. Checking and correction by Peter Nelson.