[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]
"CLEASBY, a parish in the wap of Gilling East; 3 miles W. of Darlington. The church is a very ancient structure (see Churches
for photograph), and the living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Ripon, incumbent the Rev. William Downill Waddilove. Pop. 147.
In this obscure village was born in 1650, Dr. John Robinson, a distinguished prelate and statesman. He was educated at Oriel College, Oxford. In 1710 he was preferred to the bishopric of Bristol, and while in that situation plenipotentiary at the treaty of Utrecht; in 1714 translated to the see of London, which he held till April 1723, when he died at Fulham. At this place of his nativity, he built the Chapel, Parsonage house, and added a school. The latter is endowed with 16 acres of land, valued at 20 or 22L. per annum for teaching 6 boys, the Rev. Richard Waistell master, and officiating curate."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]