"CLEASBY, a parish in the eastern division of the wapentake of GILLING, North riding of the county of YORK, 3 miles S.W. from Darlington, containing 147 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Richmond, and diocese of Chester, endowed with £35 per annum private benefaction, and £20'0 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Ripon. The church is a mean, low, and narrow structure, rebuilt, together with the parsonagehouse, by Dr. John Robinson, a native of this parish, Bishop of London, and one of the plenipotentiaries at the treaty of Utrecht. He also founded a school for six poor boys, in 1723, and endowed it with sixteen acres of land, of which the Dean and Chapter of Ripon are; visitors. The river Tees flows past the village."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]