York Saint Olave
Parish main page
Wapentake of Bulmer - Petty Sessional Division of Bulmer East - Poor Law Union and County Court District of York - Rural Deanery, Archdeaconry, and Diocese of York.
In 1867, a handsome church was erected by subscription in this populous suburb of York, and in 1872 it was made parochial with a district embracing the townships of Clifton and Rawcliffe, hitherto in the parish of St. Olave, York. Its area is 2,294 acres, and the number of inhabitants, 1,727. Clifton township comprises 1,553 acres, of which 181 acres are within the boundaries of the city of York, and the remainder are in the North Riding. The rateable value of the latter portion is £6,146. The Dowager Countess Cowper and Lady Mary Vyner are joint owners of the manor, but the land belongs to several proprietors. The village is now included within the limits of the City.
About half a mile from Clifton Green is the North Riding Pauper Lunatic Asylum, a handsome Elizabethan building, pleasantly situated on the north bank of the Ouse. It was erected in 1847, at the joint expense of the North and East Ridings, for the accommodation of 150 inmates; but so numerous were the applications for admission, that, in three years, it was found necessary to extend the buildings, so as to double the accommodation. The premises have been several times enlarged since, and are now capable of receiving about 700 inmates. The farm and pleasure grounds belonging to the institution occupy about 158 acres.
RAWCLIFFE township contains 741½ acres and 89 inhabitants, and is valued for rating purposes at £1,100. The landowners are Thomas William Tew, Esq., Carlton Grange, near Pontefract; the trustees of Earl de Grey; R. C. de Grey Vyner, of Fairfield; and the North Riding Asylum. A Stud Farm, for breeding blood stock, was established here in 1852 by a number of gentlemen, but the premises and 17 acres of land were transferred to the asylum, and are now occupied by the farm hands.
[Description(s) from Bulmer's History and Directory of North Yorkshire (1890)]
Scan, OCR and html by Colin Hinson. Checking and correction by Peter Nelson.