Transcript of the entry for the Post Office, professions and trades
for CLIFTON in Bulmer's Directory of 1890.
CLIFTON TOWNSHIP. (Without the boundaries of York City).
- Post, Money Order, and Telegraph Office, and Savings Bank, Clifton,
in the city; John William Hodgson, postmaster. Letters from York are delivered at
7-3O a.m., 12-30 p.m., 2-0 p.m., 4-0 p.m., and 7-0 p.m.; Sundays, 8 a.m. Letters
are despatched at 5-30 a.m., 10-45 a.m., 12-30 p.m., 2-30 p.m., 5-45 p.m., 8-0 p.m.,
and 10-0 p.m.; Sundays, 8-0 p.m.
North Riding Lunatic Asylum
- Medical supt., Joseph T. Hingston;
- Assistant medical supts., William R. Nicholson and John Spence Law;
- Chaplain, Rev. Henry Lowther Clark, M.A.;
- Clerk and steward, Charles Garrod;
- Assistant clerk and steward, Aaron Tempest;
- Clerk to the committee of visitors, Robert Holtby;
- Housekeeper, Mrs. Jones
Miscellany of trades
- Brummitt George, farmer
- Haley Mr. Samuel, White Cross villa
- Hey Rev. John, M.A., Clifton lawn
- Johnson Mrs. Elizabeth, vict., Bumper Castle
- Kendrew Geo., junior, clerk, Helmsley house
- Lloyd Capt. Wilfred Neville, R.A., Rose villa
- McKay Mr. William, White Cross lodge
- Randerson Robert, miller, Bootham Stray mill
- Waddington Alfred, Clifton lawn
- Walton Rev. 0. F., B.A., St. Thomas' vicarage
Miscellany of trades
- Bull Joseph, gamekeeper, Rawcliffe lodge
- Gledhill James, waterman and coal dealer
- Lodge George Hunt, farm bailiff, Manor farm
- Tempest Aaron, assistant clerk and steward, N. R. Asylum, and registrar of births
and deaths for Skelton district, Riverside
- Thompson John, farmer, Ings
- Westaby Mrs. Ann & Sons, Clifton farm
- White George, farm bailiff, Asylum farm
Scan, OCR and html by Colin Hinson. Checking and correction by Peter Nelson.
This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal
use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©CRH 2006
If you find an error (small or large) in the text or a bad link, please drop me a line via
my error reporting form.
[Last updated at 20.53 on Thursday, 01 August 2013, by Colin Hinson. ©2013]