Parish main page
Wapentake and Petty Sessional Division of Birdforth - Electoral Division, Poor Law Union, and County Court District of Helmsley - Rural Deanery of Helmsley - Archdeaconry of Cleveland - Diocese of York.
Cold Kirby is a small parish containing 1,620 acres, and 164 inhabitants. Its rateable value is £1,112. The soil and subsoil are chiefly limestone. The manor and estate were formerly the property of the Duncombes, from whom they were purchased in 1858, by Robert Tennant, Esq., for £22,000. That gentleman added to the beauty of the estate by planting several hundred acres with trees, and in 1880 sold it to Carl Ferdinand Henry Bolckow, Esq., of Marton Hall, Middlesbrough, who is also lord of the manor. Mr. Bolckow has still further improved the estate, rebuilt all the farmsteads and cottages, and erected two hydraulic rams to supply them with water.
The village occupies a bleak situation among the Hambleton Hills, about five miles W. of Helmsley. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, consists of nave, chancel, and low tower, and was rebuilt in 1842. The living, worth £100 a year, was united with Scawton by an order in council, dated July 19th, 1883.
A school, with teacher's house attached, was built in 1887, at the expense of Mr. Bolckow, who has also endowed it with £40 a year.
The poor have the interest of £18, left by some unknown donor.
Scan, OCR and html by Colin Hinson. Checking and correction by Peter Nelson.