Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for COVERHAM: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

COVERHAM: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

"COVERHAM, a parish in the western division of the wapentake of HANG, North riding of the county of YORK, if mile W.S.W. from Middleham, comprising the townships of Agelthorpe, Caldbridge, Carlton, Carlton-Highdale, Melmerby, and West Scrafton, and containing 1170 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Richmond, and diocese of Chester, endowed with £800 private b'enefaction, £400 royal bounty, and £1200 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Rev. S. Hardcastle. The church is dedicated to the Holy Trinity. The river Cover runs near this village, over which there is a bridge of one arch, and near it are the remains of a priory of White canons, founded in the thirteenth century, at Swainby, in the parish of Pickhall, and removed hither soon afterwards: its revenue, in the 26th of Henry VIII., was valued at £207. 14. 8. A school, in which between twenty and thirty children are educated, is endowed with a bequest of a messuage and lands by John Constantino, in 1724, producing £23 per annum."


"AGELTHORPE, a township in the parish of COVERHAM, western division of the wapentake of HANG, North riding of the county of YORK, 3 miles W.S.W. from Middleham, containing 131 inhabitants."


"CALDBRIDGE, a township in the parish of CoVERHAM, western division of the wapentake of HANG, North riding of the county of YORK, 3 miles S.W. from Middleham, containing 103 inhabitants."


"CARLTON, a township in the parish of COVERHAM, western division of the wapentake of HANG, North riding of the county of YORK, 4 miles W.S.W. from Middleham, containing 280 inhabitants."


"HORSEHOUSE, a chapelry in the parish of COVERHAM, western division of the wapentake of HANG, North riding of the county of YORK, 7 miles S.W. from Middleham. The population is returned with the parish. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Richmond, and diocese of Chester, endowed with £200 private benefaction, and £800 royal bounty. The Rev. S. Hardcastle was patron in 1809."


"MELMERBY, a township in the parish of COVERHAM, western division of the wapentake of HANG, North riding of the county of YORK, 4 miles W.S.W. from Middleham, containing 112 inhabitants."


"WEST SCRAFTON, a township in the parish of COVERHAM, western division of the wapentake of HANG, North riding of the county of YORK, 4 miles S.W. from Middleham, containing 146 inhabitants."

[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]