GENUKI Home page    Coverham Parish<br>main page Coverham
Parish
main page

COVERHAM:
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

"COVERHAM, a parish in the western division of the wapentake of HANG, North riding of the county of YORK, if mile W.S.W. from Middleham, comprising the townships of Agelthorpe, Caldbridge, Carlton, Carlton-Highdale, Melmerby, and West Scrafton, and containing 1170 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Richmond, and diocese of Chester, endowed with 800 private b'enefaction, 400 royal bounty, and 1200 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Rev. S. Hardcastle. The church is dedicated to the Holy Trinity. The river Cover runs near this village, over which there is a bridge of one arch, and near it are the remains of a priory of White canons, founded in the thirteenth century, at Swainby, in the parish of Pickhall, and removed hither soon afterwards: its revenue, in the 26th of Henry VIII., was valued at 207. 14. 8. A school, in which between twenty and thirty children are educated, is endowed with a bequest of a messuage and lands by John Constantino, in 1724, producing 23 per annum."


"AGELTHORPE, a township in the parish of COVERHAM, western division of the wapentake of HANG, North riding of the county of YORK, 3 miles W.S.W. from Middleham, containing 131 inhabitants."


"CALDBRIDGE, a township in the parish of CoVERHAM, western division of the wapentake of HANG, North riding of the county of YORK, 3 miles S.W. from Middleham, containing 103 inhabitants."


"CARLTON, a township in the parish of COVERHAM, western division of the wapentake of HANG, North riding of the county of YORK, 4 miles W.S.W. from Middleham, containing 280 inhabitants."


"HORSEHOUSE, a chapelry in the parish of COVERHAM, western division of the wapentake of HANG, North riding of the county of YORK, 7 miles S.W. from Middleham. The population is returned with the parish. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Richmond, and diocese of Chester, endowed with 200 private benefaction, and 800 royal bounty. The Rev. S. Hardcastle was patron in 1809."


"MELMERBY, a township in the parish of COVERHAM, western division of the wapentake of HANG, North riding of the county of YORK, 4 miles W.S.W. from Middleham, containing 112 inhabitants."


"WEST SCRAFTON, a township in the parish of COVERHAM, western division of the wapentake of HANG, North riding of the county of YORK, 4 miles S.W. from Middleham, containing 146 inhabitants."

[Transcribed by Mel Lockie from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014