GENUKI Home page    Coverham Parish Coverham
Parish

In 1822, the following places were in


the Parish of Coverham:


"AGGLETHORPE, in the parish of Coverham, wapentake of Hang West, and liberty of Richmondshire; ¾ mile NE. of Coverham, 3 miles WSW. of Middleham, a small hamlet, pleasantly situated in Coverdale. Agglethorpe Hall is the residence of Matthew Chaytor, Esq. Pop. 131."


"ARKLESIDE, a hamlet in the township of Carlton-high-dale and parish of Coverham, wapentake of Hang-West; 5¼ miles SW. of Coverham, 8 miles from Middleham."


"ARUNDEL GRANGE, a farm house in the parish of Coverham, township of Carlton-high-dale; 4½ miles SW. of Coverham, 7 miles from Middleham."


"ASHGILL, a farm house in the parish of Coverham, and township of Coverham with Agglethorpe, wapentake of Hang East; ¾ mile NW. of Coverham, 2 miles W. of Middleham."


"BLACKRAKE, in the parish of Coverham and wapentake of Hang West; 8 miles SSW. of Middleham. A small hamlet in Coverdale."


"BORKESGILL, a farm house in the township of Carlton-high-dale and parish of Coverham; 7½ miles from Middleham."


"BRACKEN GILL LODGE, a farm house in the township of Coverham, with Agglethorpe, and parish of Coverham; 1 mile WNW. of Coverham, 2¼ miles from Middleham. (Now called Brecongill - 2002)"


"BRAIDLEY, in the parish of Coverham, wapentake of Hang West, and liberty of Richmondshire; 6 miles SW. of Coverham, 7 miles SW. of Middleham. A small hamlet, situated at the SW. extremity of Coverdale."


"CALDBERGH, (or Caldbridge) in the parish of Coverham, wapentake of Hang West; 1 miles SW of Coverham, 4 miles SW. of Middleham. Pop. 103."


"CARLTON, (and Carlton High Dale), in the parish of Coverham, wapentake of Hang West, and liberty of Richmondshire; 2¾ miles WSW. of Coverham, 4 miles SW. of Middleham. Pop. Carleton 280, and High Dale 398 - Total 678.

In this Dale was born, in 1487, Miles Coverdale, the learned Bishop of Exeter, to which See he was collated in 1551, on account of his extraordinary knowledge in Divinity, and unblemished character. On the accession of Queen Mary he was ejected from his see, and thrown into prison, out of which he was released at the earnest request of the King of Denmark, after two years confinement, and only banished the realm. At the accession of Elizabeth, he returned to England, but refused the Bishopric, and lived privately to the Exchange. He was the next translator of the Bible after Wickliffe, which age of 81 years. He died in 1568, and was buried in Bartholomew's, behind the appeared in 1535. It was dedicated to King Henry VIII. and was the first English Bible allowed by Royal Authority; and the first translation of the whole Bible printed in our language. -Chalmers."


"COTESCUE, (the seat of Mrs Smith,) in the townships of Coverham and Agglethorpe, and parish of Coverham; ½ mile NNE. of Coverham, 1½ mile from Middleham, 3 from Leyburn."


"COVER BRIDGE, a farm house and Public-House, a bridge over the Cover, in the parish of Coverham, and township of East Witton, wapentake of Hang West; 2½ miles ENE. of Coverham, 4 miles SE. of Leyburn."


"COVERHAM ABBEY, in the parish of Coverham; ¼ mile E. of Coverham. A short distance from the church are the small remains of Coverham Abbey, which stands on the north-side of the rapid brook of Cover which gives name to the dale.

This Abbey was built by Radulphus, son of Robert Fitz Ralph, for white Canons of the Praemonstrantensian order, about the year 1213, who endowed it with several lands and tenements. He died in 1251, and was buried here. The house is stiled a Priory, by Leland, but Tanner says it was an Abbey. By an inscription in latin which is now placed over the door of Mrs Lister's house, which leads into the garden, it appears that this Monastery was either thoroughly repaired or rebuilt about the latter end of the reign of King Henry VII. It bears the date of 1501, and states the Abbot "finished this house." in building some out-houses, were dug up, some years since, two statues larger than life, habited in the armour of knights-templars, in a cumbent posture, ornamented with foliage and animals, but in a very rude style. -Leland, -Dugdale, -Gale, -Tanner.

These statues, in 1812, were placed on each side of the door leading into the garden of Mrs Lister, and which are said to be the figures of the founder of the abbey, and Robert Fitzrandolph, founder of Middleham-Castle. Its revenues at the time of the dissolution, 1538, amounted to 160L. 18s. 3d. clear. It was sold in 1557, to Humphry Orme, for 419L. 15s"


"COVERHEAD, a farm house in the township of Carlton-high-dale, and parish of Coverham; 7½ miles SW. of Coverham, 11 miles from Middleham."


"GAMMERSGILL, in the parish of Coverham, wapentake of Hang West, and liberty of Richmondshire; 3¾ miles SW. of Coverham, 6 miles SW. of Middleham, a small hamlet situated in Coverdale."


"HINDLETHWAITE, in the parish of Coverham, and wapentake of Hang West; 4½ miles SW. of Coverham, 6 miles SW. of Middleham, pleasantly situated in Coverdale."


"HORSEHOUSE, in the parish of Coverham, wapentake of Hang West, and liberty of Richmondshire; 4¾ miles SW. of Coverham, 6 miles SW. of Middleham. The Church is a perpetual curacy, under Coverham."


"MELMERBY, in the parish of Coverham, wapentake of Hang West, and liberty Richmondshire; 1¾ miles WSW. of Coverham, 4 miles SSW. of Leyburn. Pop. 112."


"PEN HILL, in the parish of Coverham, wapentake of Hang West, and liberty of Richmondshire; 4 miles WSW. of Middleham. It is a hill situated on the south-side of Wensleydale."


"PICKLE, a farm house in the township of Carlton-high-dale, and parish of Coverham; 8½ miles from Middleham."


"SAINT SIMONS' CHAPEL, or WELL, in the township of Little-Scrafton, and parish of Coverham, wapentake of Hang-West; 4½ miles from Middleham."


"SOWERSETT, a farm house in the township of Carlton-High-Dale, and parish of Coverham; 7½ miles from Middleham."


"SWINESIDE, in the parish of Coverham, wapentake of Hang West., and liberty of Richmondshire; 3½ miles SW. of Coverham, 7 miles SW. of Middleham."


"TUPGILL, a single house in the township of Coverham-with-Agglethorpe, and parish of Coverham; ¾ mile WNW. of Coverham, 2 miles from Middleham. Training Ground for Race Horses."


"WEST SCRAFTON, (and Little Scrafton) in the parish of Coverham wapentake of Hang West, and liberty of Richmondshire; 2½ miles SW. of Coverham, 4 miles SW. of Middleham. Pop. 146."


"WOODALE, or WOOD DALE, a hamlet in the township of Carlton-high-dale, and parish of Coverham; 6¾ miles SW. of Coverham, 9½ miles from Middleham."

[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. 2010]


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014