"COWESBY, a parish in the wapentake of BIRDFORTH, North riding of the county of YORK, 6 miles N.N.E. from Thirsk,. containing 91 inhabitants. The living is a discharged rectory, within the jurisdiction of the peculiar court of Allerton and Allertonshire, belonging to the Bishop of Durham, rated in the king's books at £5. 11. 0., and.in the patronage of Thomas Alston, Esq. Here is an hospital for decayed tenants, supposed to have been founded by Lord Crewe."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]