"COWESBY, a parish, and township in the wapentake of Birdforth, in the North Riding of the county of York, 9 miles from Northallerton, its post town, and 8 N.E. of the Thirsk station of the North-Eastern line. There are only a few scattered houses. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York, value £146, in the patronage of Mrs. E. Lloyd. The church, dedicated to St. Michael and All Angels, is a stone structure. Here are four almshouses for poor tenants of the place."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013