GENUKI Home page    Coxwold Parish<br>main page Coxwold
Parish
main page

COXWOLD:
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

"COXWOLD, a parish in the wapentake of BIRDFORTH, North riding of the county of YORK, comprising the chapelry of Birdforth,- and the townships of Angram- Grange, Byland cum Membris, Coxwold, Newborough, Oulston, Thornton with Baxly, Wildon-Grange, and Yearsley, and containing 1447 inhabitants, of which number, 348 are in the township of Coxwold, 5 miles N. from Easingwold. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Cleveland, and diocese of York, and in the patronage of G. Wombwell, Esq. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, is a small ancient structure, said to have been' erected so early as 700, with an octagonal tower: the chancel was rebuilt in 1777, by the Earl of Fauconberg: there is some stained glass in the windows, and within are many handsome monuments of the Belasyse family. A free grammar school was founded, in 1603, by Sir John Harte, alderman of London, who endowed it with 36. 13. 4. per annum, charged on certain lands in this county: only a few boys are instructed in writing and arithmetic, paying a small quarterage also. An hospital for ten poor men was founded, in 1696, by Thomas, Earl of Fauconberg, the endowment of which consists of a rent-charge of 59, and is divided among ten poor persons, only two of whom reside in the hospital, which comprises a chapel, with a small chamber above, and two apartments on each side: an hospital for eight poor women was also established here, which has long since gone to decay. There is a fair on the 25th of August. Sterne wrote his Tristram Shandy and some other works at Shandy Hall, near this place, where he resided about seven years."


"ANGRAM GRANGE, a township in the parish of COXWOLD, wapentake of BIRDFORTH, North riding - of the county of YORK, 4 miles N. from Easingwold, containing 29 inhabitants."


"BIRDFORTH, a chapelry in the parish of COXWOLD, wapentake of BIRDFORTH, North riding of the county of YORK, 4 miles N.N.W. from Easingwold, containing 42 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Cleveland, and diocese of York, endowed with 800 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Archbishop of York. The antiquity of this place is evinced by its having given name to the hundred."


"BYLAND CUM MEMBRIS, a township in the parish of COXWOLD, wapentalce of BIRDFORTH, North riding of the county of YORK, 7 miles W.S.W. from Helmsley, containing, with Oldstead and Wass, Situated in Kilburn parish, 372 inhabitants. In 1177, a convent of Cistercian monks was founded here, the revenue of which, at the dissolution, amounted to 2Q5. 5. 4.: it was a noble building; the westernfront, part of a fine circular window, one end of the transept, and some parts of the lateral aisles yet remain, affording a beautiful specimen of early English architecture, pn the removal of a portion of the ruins, in 1818, a stone coffin, containing, according to tradition, the re- Wains pf Roger de Mowbray, its founder, was discovered, and is still preserved at Myton. Fragments of a beautiful tesselated pavement were also found."


"NEWBOROUGH, a township in the parish of COXWOLD, wapentake of BIRDFORTH, North riding of the county of YORK, 8 miles S.W. from Helmsley, containing, with the extra-parochial district of Morton, 162 inhabitants. A priory of Black canons, in honour of St. Mary, was founded here, in 1145, by Roger de Mowbray, which, at the dissolution, had a revenue of 457. 13. 5. William de Newburgh, the celebrated monkish historian, was a member of this establishment."


"OULSTON, a township in the parish of COXWOLD, wapentake of BIRDFORTH, North riding of the county of YORK, 4 miles N.N.E. from Easingwold, containing 225 inhabitants."


"THORNTON, a township, joint with Baxly, in the parish of COXWOLD, wapentake of BIRDFORTH, North riding of the county of YORK, 3 miles N.E. from Easingwold, containing, with Baxly, 70 inhabitants."


"WILDON GRANGE, a township in the parish of COXWOLD, wapentake of BIRDFORTH, North riding of the county of YORK, 6 miles N.W. from Easingwold, containing 29 inhabitants."


"YEARSLEY, a township in the parish of COXWOLD, wapentake of BIRDFORTH, North riding of the county of YORK, 5 miles E.N.E. from Easingwold, containing 170 inhabitants."

[Transcribed by Mel Lockie from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014