"COXWOLD, a parish in the North Riding of Yorkshire, to the S. E. of Thirsk, being the manor of Tho. Ughtred, he obtained a Mt. and a Fair here, on August 15, the former of which has been long disused. A fr. sc. was buiit here, the gift of Sir John Hart, lord-mayor of London, in 1580, who also left an endowment for the master and two ushers, and 20 l. to a preacher, for 3 sermons every year, besides 20 s. for an annual repast for the visitors of the sc. but the Ld. Edw. Wotton bestowed most of the stones, slate, and timber. Sir John also bestowed on Sidney Coll. in Cambridge 4 scholarships and 2 fellowships, for the scholars coming from this sc. In the Ch. are divers monuments of the Bellasis's, now Visc. Faulconbridge; of which family, Thomas, who was created an Earl by K. Will. III. built an almsh. hers, and, at his death, gave a considerable legacy to it."
"BYLAND ABBEY, in the parish of Coxwold, in the North Riding of Yorkshire, near the valley of Rydale, called, for its pleasantness, la Belle Land, was formerly the Lp. of Roger de Mowbray, who founded a mon. here."
"NEWBURGH, in the parish of Coxwold, in the North Riding of Yorkshire, near Rhidale-Vale, 10 m. from York, had formerly an abbey, where was educated the famous old historian, William, who therefore took his name from it. After the Diss. it came to the family of Bellasis; from whom is descended Visc. Faulconbridge, who has a seat here."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Stephen Whatley's England's Gazetteer, 1750]