GENUKI Home page    Coxwold Parish<br>main page Coxwold
Parish
main page

COXWOLD:
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

"COXWOLD, a parish, in the wapentake of Birdforth, in the North Riding of the county of York, 4 miles N. of Easingwold, its post town. It is a railway station on the Thirsk and Malton branch of the North-Eastern line. It contains the chapelry of Birdforth, and seven townships, including the township of Coxwold. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of York, value with the curacy of Yearsley annexed, 351, in the patronage of Trinity College, Cambridge. There is also a district church at Birdforth, the living of which is a perpetual curacy, value 94, in the patronage of the Archbishop of York. The parish church, dedicated to St. Michael, is in the perpendicular style of architecture. It contains monuments to the Bellasyse and other families. Here is a free grammar school, founded by Sir John Hart in 1603, who was born at Kilburn, near this village, and afterwards became Lord Mayor of London. There is also an hospital, founded by Thomas E. Fauconberg in 1696. The charities amount to 50 per annum. The living of this parish was for some time held by Laurence Sterne, who wrote his "Tristram Shandy "here. Coal and iron are found; the working of the former, however, has been discontinued for nearly half a century. Sir George Wombwell is lord of the manor."


"ANGRAM GRANGE, a township in the parish of Coxwold, wapentake of Birdforth, in the North Riding of the county of York, 4 miles to the N. of Easingwold."


"BAXBY, a hamlet in the parish of Coxwold and wapentake of Birdforth, in the North Riding of the county of York, 7 miles from Thirsk."


"BIRDFORTH, a chapelry in the parish of Coxwold, wapentake of Birdforth, in the North Riding of the county of York, 5 miles to the S.E. of Thirsk. Easingwood is its post town. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of York, value 94, in the patronage of the archbishop. This place has given name to the hundred."


"BYLAND ABBEY, a township in the parish of Coxwold, wapentake of Birdforth, in the North Riding of the county of York, 5 miles to the N. of Easingwold. It is near the Thirsk, Malton, and Driffield branch of the North-Eastern railway, on which Coxwold is a station. This township is the site of an abbey founded by Roger do Mowbray, in the year 1177, for monks of the Cistercian order, which flourished till the Dissolution, when it had a revenue of 295. The ruins of the abbey church stand in a secluded spot at the foot of a hill. They consist of the west front, with its three fine doorways, lancet and circular windows, the south transept, and parts of the aisles. It was a noble structure, of large dimensions, in the early English style of architecture, and, according to tradition, was the burial-place of the founder, whose remains were said to be contained in a stone coffin dug up among the ruins in 1818."


"NEWBOROUGH, a township in the parish of Coxwold, wapentake of Birdforth, North Riding county York, 8 miles S.W. of Helmsley. The township is of large extent, and includes the extra-parochial district of Morton. A priory of Black Canons was founded here in 1145 by Roger de Mowbray, which at the Dissolution had a revenue of 457 13s. 5d. William de Newburgh, the monkish historian, was a member of this priory."


"NEWBROUGH, a township in the parish of Coxwold, wapentake of Birdforth, North Riding county York, 5 miles N. of Easingwold, and half a mile from the Coxwold railway station. It is situated near Crake-Castle, and formerly had a priory of Black Canons, founded by Roger de Mowbray in 1145. Newbrough Hall is situated in an extensive park containing the ruins of the above-mentioned priory. There are also traces of a Roman encampment on the S. side of the park, and numerous extensive tumuli, some of which have been explored by T. M. Kendall, Esq., of Pickering. The soil and subsoil are gravelly, with a portion of clay land."


"OULSTON, a township in the parish of Coxwold, wapentake of Birdforth, North Riding county York, 2 miles S.E. of Coxwold railway station, and 3 N.E. of Easingwold, its post town. The village, which is of small extent, is wholly agricultural. There is an excellent draw-well of great depth. The village school is partly supported by the inhabitants, and partly by an annuity of 10, given by Sir G. 0. Wombwell, Bart., who is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The Roman Catholics have a place of worship, and the Wesleyans meet for Divine worship in the school-room. The land is chiefly in pasture and meadow, with a small proportion of arable, and about 100 acres of woodland and common."


"THORNTON ON THE HILL, a township in the parish of Coxwold, wapentake of Birdforth, North Riding county York, 4 miles N. of Easingwold. The soil is of a limy character, with a subsoil of limestone."


"WILDON GRANGE, a township in the parish of Coxwold, wapentake of Birdforth, North Riding county York, 5 miles N. of Easingwold."


"YEARSLEY, a township in the parish of Coxwold, wapentake of Birdforth, North Riding county York, 5 miles N.E. of Easingwold."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson 2003


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014