Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for In 1822, the following places were in the Parish of Coxwold:

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

In 1822, the following places were in the Parish of Coxwold:


"ANGRAM GRANGE, a township in the parish of Coxwold, wapentake of Birdforth, & liberty of Ripon; 1¼ miles W. of Coxwold, 4 miles N. of Easingwold. Containing 4 houses and 29 inhabitants."


"BAXBY, in the parish of Coxwold, township of Thornton-on-the-Hill with Baxby, wapentake of Birdforth; 2 miles SW. of Coxwold, 6 miles from Easingwold. Population included in Thornton, (a Mill and a farm house)."


"BIRDFORTH, (which gives name to the wapentake,) in the parish of Coxwold, and wapentake of Birdforth; 3¼ miles WSW. of Coxwold, 5½ miles SE. of Thirsk. Here is a Chapel of Ease, of which the Rev. John Overton, B. A. is curate. Population, 42."


"BYLAND, (and Byland Abbey) in the parish of Coxwold, and wapentake of Birdforth; 1¼ miles NE of Coxwold, 5 miles SW. of Helmsley. Population, 372.Here are the remains of the magnificent Abbey of Byland, situated in a rich valley, separated from Rivaulx, by the hilly ridge of Hambleton." (There is further information for Byland).


"BYLAND MEMBRIS, a township in the parish of Coxwold, comprehending Byland, Wass, and Oldstead; 1½ miles N. of Coxwold."


"HOLLIN HILL, a farm house in the township of Yearsley, and parish of Coxwold; 3½ miles SE. of Coxwold, 3 miles from Easingwold."


"NEWBURGH, in the parish of Coxwold, and wapentake of Birdforth; ½ mile SE. of Coxwold, 5 miles NE. of Easingwold : was the estate of Robert de Mowbray, who was created Earl of Northumberland, by William II. in 1092: the, year following he defeated the Scots, at Alnwick, were Malcolm III. and his son Edward, were both slain; but revolting soon after from the King, he was apprehended, and kept a prisoner thirty years in Windsor Castle, where he died. His estate was given to Nigel de Albini, whose son, Roger, assumed the name of Mowbray, and founded a priory here, for Canons regular of the order of St. Augustine, in the year 1145. Newburgh, the famous monkish historian, was a canon regular in this priory about the year 1200. Pop. 162.

Princess Margaret, daughter of Henry VII. honoured Newburgh with a visit, in 1503, on her road to Scotland, in order to, consummate her marriage with James IV. of Scotland, which had been solemnised by proxy. -Drake."


"OULSTON, in the parish of Coxwold, and wapentake of Birdforth; 1¾ miles SSE. of Coxwold, 3½ miles NNE. of Easingwold. Here is a Catholic chapel. Pop. 225."


"THORNTON, a farm house in the township of Thornton-with-Baxby, and parish of Coxwold, wapentake of Birdforth; 2¾ miles S. of Coxwold, 3 miles from Easingwold, 10 from Thirsk. Population including Baxby, 70."


"THORNTON ON THE HILL, in the parish of Coxwold, and wapentake of Birdforth; 2¼ miles S. of Coxwold, 5 miles N. of Easingwold. Pop. 70."


"WILDON GRANGE, in the parish of Coxwold, wapentake of Birdforth, and liberty of Ripon; 1¼ miles WNW. of Coxwold, 7 miles ESE. of Thirsk. Pop. 29."


"YEARSLEY, in the parish of Coxwold, and wapentake of Birdforth; 3½ miles ESE. of Coxwold, 5 miles NE. of Easingwold. Pop. 170."


"YEARSLEY BURTON, (or Burton House) a farm house in the township of Yearsley, and parish of Coxwold; 5 miles from Easingwold."

[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]