GENUKI Home page    Coxwold Parish Coxwold
Parish

In 1822, the following places were in


the Parish of Coxwold:


"ANGRAM GRANGE, a township in the parish of Coxwold, wapentake of Birdforth, & liberty of Ripon; 1 miles W. of Coxwold, 4 miles N. of Easingwold. Containing 4 houses and 29 inhabitants."


"BAXBY, in the parish of Coxwold, township of Thornton-on-the-Hill with Baxby, wapentake of Birdforth; 2 miles SW. of Coxwold, 6 miles from Easingwold. Population included in Thornton, (a Mill and a farm house)."


"BIRDFORTH, (which gives name to the wapentake,) in the parish of Coxwold, and wapentake of Birdforth; 3 miles WSW. of Coxwold, 5 miles SE. of Thirsk. Here is a Chapel of Ease, of which the Rev. John Overton, B. A. is curate. Population, 42."


"BYLAND, (and Byland Abbey) in the parish of Coxwold, and wapentake of Birdforth; 1 miles NE of Coxwold, 5 miles SW. of Helmsley. Population, 372.Here are the remains of the magnificent Abbey of Byland, situated in a rich valley, separated from Rivaulx, by the hilly ridge of Hambleton." (There is further information for Byland).


"BYLAND MEMBRIS, a township in the parish of Coxwold, comprehending Byland, Wass, and Oldstead; 1 miles N. of Coxwold."


"HOLLIN HILL, a farm house in the township of Yearsley, and parish of Coxwold; 3 miles SE. of Coxwold, 3 miles from Easingwold."


"NEWBURGH, in the parish of Coxwold, and wapentake of Birdforth; mile SE. of Coxwold, 5 miles NE. of Easingwold : was the estate of Robert de Mowbray, who was created Earl of Northumberland, by William II. in 1092: the, year following he defeated the Scots, at Alnwick, were Malcolm III. and his son Edward, were both slain; but revolting soon after from the King, he was apprehended, and kept a prisoner thirty years in Windsor Castle, where he died. His estate was given to Nigel de Albini, whose son, Roger, assumed the name of Mowbray, and founded a priory here, for Canons regular of the order of St. Augustine, in the year 1145. Newburgh, the famous monkish historian, was a canon regular in this priory about the year 1200. Pop. 162.

Princess Margaret, daughter of Henry VII. honoured Newburgh with a visit, in 1503, on her road to Scotland, in order to, consummate her marriage with James IV. of Scotland, which had been solemnised by proxy. -Drake."


"OULSTON, in the parish of Coxwold, and wapentake of Birdforth; 1 miles SSE. of Coxwold, 3 miles NNE. of Easingwold. Here is a Catholic chapel. Pop. 225."


"THORNTON, a farm house in the township of Thornton-with-Baxby, and parish of Coxwold, wapentake of Birdforth; 2 miles S. of Coxwold, 3 miles from Easingwold, 10 from Thirsk. Population including Baxby, 70."


"THORNTON ON THE HILL, in the parish of Coxwold, and wapentake of Birdforth; 2 miles S. of Coxwold, 5 miles N. of Easingwold. Pop. 70."


"WILDON GRANGE, in the parish of Coxwold, wapentake of Birdforth, and liberty of Ripon; 1 miles WNW. of Coxwold, 7 miles ESE. of Thirsk. Pop. 29."


"YEARSLEY, in the parish of Coxwold, and wapentake of Birdforth; 3 miles ESE. of Coxwold, 5 miles NE. of Easingwold. Pop. 170."


"YEARSLEY BURTON, (or Burton House) a farm house in the township of Yearsley, and parish of Coxwold; 5 miles from Easingwold."

[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. 2010]


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014