"CRAMBE, a parish, in the wapentake of Bulmer, in the North Riding of the county of York, 5 miles S. W. of Malton, and 11 N.E. of York. It is situated on the river Derwent, near the Scarborough railway, and contains Barton-le-Willows, Whitwell-on-the-Hill, and the township of Crambe. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of York, value £180, in the patronage of the archbishop. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, is a stone structure in the early English style of architecture. The charities amount to £1 per annum. There is a parochial school. G. Cholmeley, Esq., is lord of the manor."
"BARTON LE WILLOWS, a township in the parish of Crambe, wapentake of Bulmer, in the North Riding of the county of York, 11 miles to the N.E. of York. It is on the west bank of the river Derwent."
"WHITWELL ON THE HILL, a township in the parish of Crambe, wapentake of Bulmer, North Riding county York, 5 miles S.W. of New Malton."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013