"CRATHORNE, a parish in the western division of the liberty of LANGBAURGH, North riding of the county of YORK, 3 miles S.S.E. from Yarm, containing 330 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Cleveland, and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at £10. 11.10., and in the patronage of Godfrey Wentworth and Robert Chaloner, Esqrs. The church, Dedicated to All Saints, is an ancient structure; in the chancel is the figure of an armed knight lying crosslegged, with the arms of Crathorne on the shield, and near it is a mural monument of a member of the same family. There are places of worship for Primitive Methodists and Roman Catholics. Thomas Baxter, in 1769, gave £100, now producing, with other subscriptions., £13. 6. per annum, which is applied to the education of twenty poor children. Here are a linen-manufactory and an extensive bleaching-ground. At a short distance from the village is a mineral spring."
any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2016