"CRATHORNE, a parish, in the W. division of the liberty of Langbaurgh, in the North Riding of the county of York, 5½ miles W. of Stokesley, and 2 from Picton railway station. It is situated on the river Leaven, a branch of the river Tees. Linen is manufactured here. Near the village, which consists of a small cluster of houses, is a mineral spring. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of York, value £205, in the patronage of H. Dugdale, Esq, The church, dedicated to All Saints, is a small stone structure in the Gothic style, and contains an effigy of a crusader, supposed to be Sir William Crathorne, Knt., who fell at Neville's Cross in 1347. There is a Roman Catholic chapel, also a day and Sunday school."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013