"CRAYKE, a parish in the south-western division of STOCKTON ward, county palatine of DURHAM, though locally in the wapentake of Buhner, North riding of the county of York, 3 miles N.E. from Easingwold, containing 538 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the peculiar jurisdiction of the Dean and Chapter of Durham, rated in the king's books at £10, and in the patronage of the Bishop of Durham. The church is dedicated to St. Cuthbert. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. A school is supported by charitable donations amounting to about £4. 10. per annum. Egfrid, King of Northumberland, in 685, gave this place, with land extending three miles round it, to St. Cuthbert, the founder of a monastery here, every vestige of which has for ages been removed. There are remains of a rastle of remote and uncertain date, converted into a farm-house."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]