|Croft On Tees
"CROFT ON TEES, a parish in the wapentake of East Gilling, in the North Riding of the county of York, 3 miles S. of Darlington, and 15 from Leeds. It is situated on the river Tees, and has a railway station on the Great Northern line, with which the town is connected by a short branch line. The parish contains Halnaby, Dalton, Great Smeaton, and Stapleton. The village or town of Croft has a good sulphur spa, and is visited in summer as a watering-place. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ripon, value £825, in the patronage of the crown. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is an old stone edifice, and contains tombs of the Clervaux family. The charities amount to £10 per annum. Sir W. Chaytor, Bart., of Croft Hall, is lord of the manor."
"DALTON UPON TEES, a township in the parish of Croft on Tees, wapentake of East Gilling, in the North Riding of the county of York, 4½ miles S. of Darlington, and 1 mile from Croft station on the Great Northern railway. The Dean and Chapter of York are lords of the manor."
"HALNABY, a hamlet in the township and parish of Croft on Tees, North Riding county York, 6 miles N.E. of Richmond. The principal residence is Halnaby Hall."
"STAPLETON, a township in the parishes of Barton and Croft-on-Tees, wapentake of East Gilling, North Riding county York, 2 miles S.W. of Darlington, and 3 N.E. of Barton. It is situated on the river Tees, and gives name to the Stapyltons of Myton. R. Bower, Esq., is lord of the manor and principal landowner."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013