"CUNDALL, a parish in the wapentake of HALLIKELD, North riding of the county of YORK, comprising the townships of Cundall with Leckby, and Norton le Clay, and containing 312 inhabitants, of which number, 170 are in the township of Cundall with Leckby, 5 miles N.N.E. from Boroughbridge. The living is a vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Richmond, and diocese of Chester, rated in the king's books at £3. 6. 8., endowed with £400 royal bounty, and £200 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of N. Cholmley, Esq. The church is dedicated to All Saints. A school, in which thirty poor children are educated, is supported by the proceeds of the parish poor lands and subscriptions, in addition to a small endowment."
"FAWDINTON, a township in that part of the parish of CUNDALL, which is in the wapentake of BIRDFORTH, North riding of the county of YORK, 5 miles N.N.E. from Boroughbridge, containing 39 inhabitants."
"LECKBY, a township, joint with Cundall, in the parish of CUNDALL, wapentake of HALLIKELD, North riding of the county of YORK, 6 miles N.E. from Boroughbridge. The population is returned with Cundall."
"NORTON LE CLAY, a township in the parish of CUNDALL, wapentake of HALLIKELD, North riding of the county of YORK, 3 miles N. from Boroughbridge containing 142 inhabitants."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]