"CUNDALL, a parish in the wapentakes of Hallikeld and Birdforth, in the North Riding of the county of York, 4 miles N.E. of Boroughbridge, its post town, and 6 from Ripon. It is situated on the western bank of the Swale, and includes the townships of Cundall and Leckby, and Fawdington, with the chapelry of Norton-le-Clay. The village is small and wholly agricultural. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Ripon, value with the perpetual curacy of Norton-le-Clay, £59, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is dedicated to St. Mary and All Saints. The charities amount to £34 per annum."
"FAWDINGTON, a township in the parish of Cundall, North Riding county York, 5 miles N.E. of Boroughbridge. It is situated near the river Swale."
"LECKBY, a hamlet in the parish of Cundall, wapentake of Hallikeld, North Riding county York, 4 miles N.E. of Boroughbridge. It is situated near the river Swale. It is joined with Cundall to form a township"
"NORTON LE CLAY, a township in the parish of Cundall, wapentake of Hallikeld, North Riding county York, 2 miles W. of Cundall, and 3 N.E. of Boroughbridge. The village, which is small, is wholly agricultural. The soil consists of a rich loam. The chapel-of-ease, dedicated to St. John, is a stone structure, with a small belfry containing one bell. The Earl of Ripon is lord of the manor."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013