Open a form to report problems or contribute information

1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for CUNDALL: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1890.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

CUNDALL: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1890.

Wapentake and Petty Sessional Division of Hallikeld - Electoral Division of Wath - County Court District of Ripon - Rural Deanery of Boroughbridge - Archdeaconry of Richmond - Diocese of Ripon.

This parish comprises an area of 3,566 acres, including roads and water, and is situated on the banks of the Swale, which river here divides the wapentake of Hallikeld from that of Birdforth. Two of its townships, viz., Cundall-with-Leckby and Norton-le-Clay, are in the former division, and Fawdington in the latter. The scenery is pleasingly diversified by wood and water. The parish is purely agricultural and, therefore, subject to little change. In 1821 there were 351 inhabitants; in 1851, 389; and in 1881, 301.

The township of Cundall-with-Leckby contains 1,943½ acres, and is valued, for rateable purposes, at £2,469. The late owner of the manor and estate of Cundall, William Heathcote, Esq., died in 1884 without heirs, and the property is now in Chancery. Leckby is a hamlet consisting of three farms, and belongs to Basil T. Woodd, Esq., Knaresborough.

The village of Cundall is situated on the road near the river, five miles N. by E. of Boroughbridge. The church (St. Mary and All Saints) is a substantial stone structure, rebuilt in 1854, at the expense of W. Heathcote, Esq. It is in the Gothic style, and consists of nave, chancel, and tower, containing three bells and a clock. The living is a vicarage, worth £100 a year, and at present in the gift of the Crown. The Rev. James Murdoch Pollock, LL.D., is the vicar.

CHARITIES. - In 1682, Roger Leadley left a rent-charge of £3 to be expended in clothes and shoes for poor children; and the poor receive the rent of 7 acres 3 roods of land at Minskip, purchased with various bequests, and now let for £18, subject to a rent-charge of 50s., bequeathed by the Rev. - Linton, to the parish school. Mary Moulton left to the poor of Cundall and Leckby 5s. a year, and they also receive the dividends of £666 13s. 4d. three per cent. consolidated bank annuities, purchased with the bequest of Mrs. Clare Smithson.

FAWDINGTON is a small township of 423 acres, lying on the north-east side of the Swale, in the wapentake of Birdforth, and the Thirsk union and county court district. The owners are John Durham, Ainderby Quernhow; the trustees of Captain Scarlett; exors. of J. Brown, Copgrove Hall, Boroughbridge; and Captain Gallwey, Pilmoor Hall. There are three farms and 23 inhabitants. Rateable value, £648.

NORTON-LE-CLAY township is chiefly the property of Miss Rawson, Nydd Hall, Ripley (lady of the manor); the Crown; Clare Vyner, Esq., Newby Hall, near Ripon; and Miss Eshelby, Sowerby, Thirsk. The soil in the western part of the township is a rich loam, but towards the east it is a cold clay. The rateable value is £1,353, and population, 100.

The village is pleasantly situated, three miles N. by E. of Boroughbridge, and about one mile from Leeming Lane. A chapel-of-ease was erected here in 1839, by subscription, and in 1888 it was restored and supplied with heating apparatus, at a cost of £400. There is also a Wesleyan chapel in the village.

Cundall and Norton parochial school is in this township. It is a neat brick building, with house and garden for the teacher. It is under government inspection, and is attended by about 50 children.

[Description(s) from Bulmer's History and Directory of North Yorkshire (1890)]


  • Transcript of the entry for the Post Office, professions and trades in Bulmer's Directory of 1890.

Scan, OCR and html by Colin Hinson. Checking and correction by Peter Nelson.

This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2016