"DALBY, (or Dalby with Skewsby) a parish in the wapentake of Bulmer, in the North Riding of the county of York, 9½ miles W. of Malton, and 14 N.E. of York. It is situated on the Howardian range of hills, and contains Witherham and Skewsby. The village is small, and the parish contains 50 acres of woodland. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of York, value £245, in the patronage of the Rev. J. S. Hall. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a stone structure, in the Norman style of architecture, with an arched roof of stone. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £260. The charities amount to £5 per annum. W. Ewbank, Esq., is lord of the manor. Here is a meet for the Simington hounds."
"SKEWSBY, a township in the parish of Dalby, wapentake of Bulmer, North Riding county York, 8 miles N.E. of Easingwold."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013