Parish main page
Wapentake of Bulmer - Electorial Division of Stillington - Petty Sessional Division of West Bulmer - County Court District, Poor Law Union, and Rural Deanery of Easingwold - Archdeaconry of Cleveland - Diocese of York.
This is a small and sparsely populated parish, containing 1,280 acres and 133 inhabitants. The land towards the north rises into bold eminences, called the Howardian Hills, which present in many places beautiful and picturesque scenery, embracing extensive views over York, The soil is sand and clay, on which wheat and potatoes are chiefly grown. The rateable value is £1,390. William Henry Garforth, Esq., is lord of the manor and principal proprietor; William George Wales, Senr., has some land in the parish, and the rector five acres of glebe.
The village of Dalby occupies an elevated situation on the southern slope of one of the Howardian hills, and is distant 11 miles W. from Malton, and 14 N. by E. from York. Dalby Hall is a small rough-cast mansion, commanding an extensive prospect of the surrounding country. It is the property of W. H. Garforth, Esq., and the residence of Mr. W. R. Ponsonby, farmer. The church of St. Mary is a stone edifice in the Norman style, consisting of nave, chancel with an arched stone roof, south porch, and bell turret at the west end containing two bells, one of which bears a very old date. The walls of the chancel are 5ft. 7in. in thickness. The church was restored in 1886, at a cost of £400, chiefly defrayed by the present rector. The nave was re-roofed with slate, a new south porch built, and the old gallery removed. At the same time the church was re-seated, and a carved oak reredos added. On the wall is a quaint tablet, dated 1675, to the memory of Alan Ascough and his wife. A large and curious old stone font stands in the churchyard. There are 100 sittings, all of which are free. The register dates from the year 1657. The living is a discharged rectory, in the gift of John Walker, Esq., and held by the Rev. John Griffiths, B.A. The gross tithe rent-charge is £260. The children of the parish attend the schools at Whenby and Scackleton.
Skewsby and Witherholme are hamlets in this parish; the former one mile S.W. of the village, and the latter one mile south. They are both the property of W. H. Garforth, Esq.
CHARITIES. - Wm. Spink, in 1686, left £3 a year to the poor, and 20s. a year to the rector, chargeable upon land at Ripon. The poor have also the interest of £25, and the following annuities:- 10s. left by Wm. Bolton in 1724; £10 left by Mrs. Langdale in 1825; and £10 by Mrs. Leybourne in 1827.
[Description(s) from Bulmer's History and Directory of North Yorkshire (1890)]
Scan, OCR and html by Colin Hinson. Checking and correction by Peter Nelson.