"DANBY, a parish in the eastern division of the liberty of LANGBAURGH, North riding of the county of YORK, 9 miles S.E. from Guilsbrough, containing 1373 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Cleveland, and diocese of York, endowed with £400 royal bounty, and £1400 parliamentary grant. Lord Viscount Downe was patron in 1781. On a neighbouring hill are the ruins of Danby castle, an edifice of uncertain antiquity."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]