"DANBY, a parish in the E. division of the liberty of Langbaurgh, in the North Riding of the county of York, 9 miles S.E. of Guisbrough, and 11 from Stokesley. It is situated on the moors, near the river Esk, and contains Ainthorpe, and Castleton, its post town. The parish is very extensive, comprising 14,000 acres, 400 of which are woodland, besides a large tract of moor and waste. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of York, value £96, in the patronage of Viscount Downe. The church, the dedication of which is unknown, is an old stone edifice, in the early English style. The chapel-of-ease at Glaisdale was rebuilt about the commencement of the present century. The charities amount to £27 per annum. There is a handsome National school, built of stone, in the Gothic style, by the Viscount Downe, who is lord of the manor. It has an endowment of £6 per annum. There are chalybeate and mineral springs. Danby Castle is the seat of Viscount Downe. Danby-upon-Yore is the seat of the Scropes, an old and influential family. On a neighbouring hill are the ruins of Danby Castle."
"AINTHORPE, a hamlet in the parish of Danby, liberty of Langbaurgh, in the North Riding of the county of York, 9 miles to the S.E. of Gainsborough. It is situated on the Moors."
"CASTLETON, a hamlet in the parish of Danby, liberty of Langbaurgh, in the North Riding of the county of York, 7 miles to the S.E. of Guisborough. It is seated in a moorland country, near the river Esk, and is a station on the North Yorkshire and Cleveland branch of the North-Eastern railway."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013