|Yorkshire||North Riding||Nearby places|
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"DANBY, a parish in the wapentake and liberty of Langbargh; 8 miles SE. of Guisborough. The church is an ancient edifice (see Churches for photograph), and the living is a perpetual curacy, of which Lord Viscount Downe is patron, and the Rev. Daniel Duck the incumbent. Population 1373.
North of the Church, on the brow of a naked hill, of no great elevation, stands the remains of Danby Castle, supposed to have been built soon after the conquest, by Robert de Brus; or more probably by William de Latimer, soon after the reign of Edward II. when Danby came to the Latimers by marriage with the daughter of Robert de Thweng, as the arms of Latimer appear in the armorial bearings on the North Wall. From the ruins, we are led to conjecture, that the building has been extensive; but can form no just idea of its strength and ancient grandeur. A farm-house and its offices now occupy a great part of it. -Graves. -Camden."
Information on the following places in this Parish is contained on a supplementary page.
- Dale End
- Danby Beacon
- Danby Lodge
- Great Fryup
- Lealholme Hall
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]